Cricket thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
Eh? We had enough runs and nearly bowled them out, arguably ran out of time due to the time lost to rain. as it has been with most of our games this season so far. In the last those 20 odd overs we took 5 or 6 wickets. I was listening to commentary on and off, I think Shan was off the field wasn't he, with Adam taking over as senior pro? the only odd thing I thought was he was taking wickets and then at the death took himself off for Leech.

What is your gripe with Gibson?
At the end of the day the players have to go out and perform or the weather has to stay dry. We were unlucky not to win at Sussex - had Lyth stayed in we were odds on to get over the line.

He just keeps coming up with same excuses after every game even today he come out with. "inability to bowl sides out twice biggest threat to their ambition of becoming a genuine promotion contender in the County Championship". He's said that over and over, he needs to fix it then not pointing out the obvious. At the end of the day his job is to turn out a team that is up to the job it clear is not.
We just keep being a nearly side we simply can't get over the line. We lack the will to win like we once had that rest on a large part with him. Something clearly is not right or working. We can't keep blaming things on the weather or things not going our way. Losing becomes a habit thats hard to break who is going to break it is questionable at the moment.
I really feel for Lyth he played his heart out like always, missing out a being added to very class act list of 100 and 5 wickets in an innings.
Which reads like a who's who of Yorkshire greats.

albion

Guru
Money issues? I found it a bit strange Durham got the Womens franchise, not Yorkshire.

tom73

Guru
Money issues? I found it a bit strange Durham got the Womens franchise, not Yorkshire.

Totally political classic ECB stupidity , they’ve now back tracked after Yorkshire appealed and said they’d pay for it. So much for ECB wanting to advance the women’s game. No other county has put more work in and support for women’s game than Yorkshire it’s got over 300 teams alone.
Other achievements detailed here https://yorkshireccc.com/news/yorkshire-sees-record-rise-in-women-and-girls-playing-cricket/

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Losing becomes a habit thats hard to break who is going to break it is questionable at the moment.

Except we aren't habitually losing, we're mainly drawing (5/7) weather effected games where we were in strong positions and in the defeat vs Sussex we in the driving seat pretty much all game until we lost 4 wickets in 5 overs to lose.

tom73

Guru
Except we aren't habitually losing, we're mainly drawing (5/7) weather effected games where we were in strong positions and in the defeat vs Sussex we in the driving seat pretty much all game until we lost 4 wickets in 5 overs to lose.

Comes down to the same thing we can't force the wins. We just don't have the fire power or strong enough batting. Add in a side that's more or less down to bare bones. We don't have much slack when injuries come round.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
And the T20 blast gets underway tonight, and England final warm-up game vs Pakistan is on BBC2 live tonight, provided its doesn't get rained off

right on cue dirty great thunder shower has started here, I imagine the Oval will be getting hit by them too

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Good win for England, you can only beat what is put in front of you, but Pakistan looked shabby. They surely must have a better wicket keeper than Azam Khan, fitness issues aside, his glovework was woeful and he appeared clueless against Wood's pace.

Stonking win for Yorks, although Lancashire mullered Durham even more convincingly. Games come thick and fast, teams playing 2 or3 games over the "weekend"

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Good win for England, you can only beat what is put in front of you, but Pakistan looked shabby. They surely must have a better wicket keeper than Azam Khan, fitness issues aside, his glovework was woeful and he appeared clueless against Wood's pace.

It does look odd to see someone with that body shape in professional cricket.
would he be there without a famous dad?

Top Bottom