Garmin Edge functional overseas ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Well his Garmin will just record his rides as it normally would. It relies on global satellites not maps as everyone else is banging on about. He won't have base maps, but could navigate using it if he needed to. Equally he could just use his smart phone but may be subject to roaming charges although he could pre download Google maps for the area he is visiting, but then he could do that on the Garmin.

Strava App on the phone runs without a network connection. Just start/stop it as normal and it uploads the ride once you get back to a wifi or network connection (usually the free wifi at your hotel?).

Same with my Suunto watch. It will record a ride even if I don't have the linked phone with me and then uploads once back together with my phone. The GPS data is stored by the devices until it becomes uploadable. In the case of my watch, I can look in the ride logs on the watch and see basic info like time elapsed, distance, ave speed, climbing etc so have access to that data even without ever linking the unit to an internet enabled device.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Strava App on the phone runs without a network connection. Just start/stop it as normal and it uploads the ride once you get back to a wifi or network connection (usually the free wifi at your hotel?).

Same with my Suunto watch. It will record a ride even if I don't have the linked phone with me and then uploads once back together with my phone. The GPS data is stored by the devices until it becomes uploadable. In the case of my watch, I can look in the ride logs on the watch and see basic info like time elapsed, distance, ave speed, climbing etc so have access to that data even without ever linking the unit to an internet enabled device.

I meant roaming charges if he was using Google maps as a base map. Agreed re the Strava App. 👍

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just as an aside, if the OP just wants to record distances and use the head unit as a speedo then a watch or phone can do this just as the Garmin, but even with my Garmin unit on my handlebars, I find the only time I am interested in how fast I am going I am generally going too fast to take my eyes off the road ahead to look at a head unit or watch display!!! The speedo function is almost useless in these situations :eek:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Just as an aside, if the OP just wants to record distances and use the head unit as a speedo then a watch or phone can do this just as the Garmin, but even with my Garmin unit on my handlebars, I find the only time I am interested in how fast I am going I am generally going too fast to take my eyes off the road ahead to look at a head unit or watch display!!! The speedo function is almost useless in these situations :eek:

Same goes for gradient. Was my Garmin really showing 20% on that barstard hill? Well I don't know as my eyes wouldn't focus at the time.

Top Bottom