Ribble Endurance ALe Sport for commuting - Part 8 - Riding after knee issues and 3 weeks of discomfort.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good morning,

I've just had three weeks where one or the other knee sort of locked up, a bit like a cross between gout and water on the knee. No pain until the leg is bent even a tiny bit leaving an average walking capacity of about 20 yards at a quarter of a mile an hour and no prospect of making it from the bedroom to the bathroom at 2am.:sad::laugh:

The week before last I topped up on pain killers and restarted the commute,

The first surprising thing was the visible loss of thigh muscle and then the loss of power associated with that. Overall I had lost around 12lbs but thought that a lot of that might been water loss associated with glycogen depletion, because of not being too keen to eat.

Despite the pain at the top of every right pedal stroke the first few miles were so much fun, back to being able to get around at my own time rather than having to rely on someone being kind enough to pick me up and take me home. So I am pretty sure that if I was riding the ebike because of a permanent condition I would be seeing it completely differently.

Presuming that the condition was permanent there might still be some range issues though, on the first Monday morning I got through 50% of the charge just on the way in (18 miles). That only leaves 25% battery capacity before the maximum assist is disabled and we are presuming the need for help.

By last Friday I was back to the 10%-15% each way and 10% of a 244Wh (250Wh is advertising licence:smile:) battery is not a lot of assistance, yet visibly I don't seem to have rebuilt the leg muscles and am still around 8lbs lighter. This is despite two weeks of eating properly and improperly, a few or more bags of jelly babies and fruit jellies, otherwise known as coloured sugar.

So I am expecting that when the muscle does return I will have also lost a few pounds of fat and will be moaning even more about how little assistance the motor gives me on my route.:laugh:

By the way I am not associating the knee issue with the bike as I have had it before when not riding and I am currently using MTB shoes without cleats on flat pedals so have a lot of foot movement.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Seen the quack?

Top Bottom