Three 30-minute rides each week of the year Challenge 2024

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bluenotebob

Veteran
Not sure if I’m going to get out on my bike today – I’m suffering from facial neuralgia (possibly brought on by cycling into a very chilly north wind yesterday). I was up at 2am swallowing an enormous amount of paracetamol to kill the pain. If I don’t go out, it’ll be the first day I’ve missed in over two months – but if I do go out, it won’t significantly affect these stats for week 22.

Week 22: two HMCAM rides + 9 more local rides over 30 mins; distance cycled 235.21km

Weeks 1 to 22: total distance cycled 5528km

Here’s an alternative to the photo I posted on Friday in the HMCAM chatzone … Katie-Mae on the rigole d’Hilvern, north of St Gonnery. It’s taken me 7 years to work out how to get to St Gonnery .. but I finally found a way (a 30-minute drive in the van then roughly 22km on the bike). Now I’m intent on exploring the land between St Gonnery and St Caradec – and following the rigole is a perfect means of doing that. As I wrote in the other thread, it’s delightful cycling .. wooded, almost pan-flat and it wriggles across the countryside. Essentially, it’s a ditch carrying water from the lake at Bosméleac to feed the Nantes-to-Brest canal between the Oust and Blavet valleys. It runs for 62km and was built between 1832 and 1836. I think the oak and plane trees that line it are of a similar vintage. Wish I was back up there today …

Rigole d'Hilvern north of St Gonnery pic 2.JPG

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It is a bit windy here but otherwise it is quite a pleasant afternoon so I will be going out later to do a decent ride. I aim to ride 59+ km to get this week's 100 km in and also to qualify for the June 50-a-month challenge.

I’m suffering from facial neuralgia (possibly brought on by cycling into a very chilly north wind yesterday). I was up at 2am swallowing an enormous amount of paracetamol to kill the pain.
That sounds horrible - GWS!

FrothNinja

Veteran
Not sure if I’m going to get out on my bike today – I’m suffering from facial neuralgia (possibly brought on by cycling into a very chilly north wind yesterday). I was up at 2am swallowing an enormous amount of paracetamol to kill the pain. If I don’t go out, it’ll be the first day I’ve missed in over two months – but if I do go out, it won’t significantly affect these stats for week 22.

Week 22: two HMCAM rides + 9 more local rides over 30 mins; distance cycled 235.21km

Weeks 1 to 22: total distance cycled 5528km

Here’s an alternative to the photo I posted on Friday in the HMCAM chatzone … Katie-Mae on the rigole d’Hilvern, north of St Gonnery. It’s taken me 7 years to work out how to get to St Gonnery .. but I finally found a way (a 30-minute drive in the van then roughly 22km on the bike). Now I’m intent on exploring the land between St Gonnery and St Caradec – and following the rigole is a perfect means of doing that. As I wrote in the other thread, it’s delightful cycling .. wooded, almost pan-flat and it wriggles across the countryside. Essentially, it’s a ditch carrying water from the lake at Bosméleac to feed the Nantes-to-Brest canal between the Oust and Blavet valleys. It runs for 62km and was built between 1832 and 1836. I think the oak and plane trees that line it are of a similar vintage. Wish I was back up there today …

View attachment 732702

Hope the face ache sorts itself out quickly, sounds quite unpleasent.
The woodland ride looks lovely.
Glad I'm not the only one who names their wheels.

FrothNinja

Veteran
W22R1- Hybrid 2 hours 19 mins - Burnley, Brierfield, Wheatley Lane, Noggarth, Roughlee, Newchurch, Roughlee, Blacko, Whitemoor, Barnoldswick, L&L, Salterforth, Foulridge, L&L, Burnley (total 36.9miles / 59.4 km plus 480 m / 1,575 ft ascent)
W22R2 - not my bike 52 mins - slow miles in and around Warwick.
W22R3 - Centurion 39 mins - local miles.
W22R4 - CX 1 hour 6 mins - extended (out to Salterforth) Clarion run.
240531 Warwick 15.JPG

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Two of my three longer rides this week were shopping trips more than 30 minutes away so I think I can claim five rides this week.

Sadly my second shopping trip was a bit of a disaster. There's a proper fruit and veg shop in Whitley Bay so I was looking forward to going there and also having a look in the sewing shop. It was a nice morning and as it was half term there weren't many people about. I got to Whitley and locked the bike up and then looked in my pannier for my shopping bag. No sign of it and no purse either! I'd left them at home while faffing about getting waterproofs. So all I could do was have a quick browse round the shops to see what I was missing and head home again.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It is a bit windy here but otherwise it is quite a pleasant afternoon so I will be going out later to do a decent ride. I aim to ride 59+ km to get this week's 100 km in and also to qualify for the June 50-a-month challenge.
I was caught out by how chilly that wind was... If I had realised before I set off I would have swapped my mitts for full-finger gloves!

Cold fingers put me off my original plan so I cut one hill from my route and did just enough to achieve today's goal.

Week 22: 4 qualifying rides, 101 km, 6 hrs.
  • Ride 1 (Thu): 15 km. ELLL including Lumbutts climb. ¾ hr.
  • Ride 2 (Fri): 13 km. ELLL including Lumbutts climb. ¾ hr.
  • Ride 3 (Sat): 13 km. ELLL. ¾ hr.
  • Ride 4 (Sun): 60 km. Tod, Mankinholes, Lumbutts, Walsden, Calderbrook, Caldermoor, Littleborough, Blackstone Edge, Blue Ball, Hubberton Green, Steep Ln, and back to Tod via Blackstone Edge on reverse of outward route. Local loop to make up distance. 3¾ hrs.
All rides done on 6-er using lower gears on steep stuff. I have replaced the 42 tooth chainring with a 39 so my standard gear now is 39/14.

Success rate: 22 weeks out of 22.

72 qualifying rides so far this year. Weekly target 100 km; total to date: 1,955 km. Average progress now = 88.9%; last week = 88.3%. Total ride time approximately 119 hrs.

PS Special characters to copy and paste for ride durations - ¼ ½ ¾ !

Top Bottom