Map oddities

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
I'm sure the main place for Welsh Speakers, with Welsh Ancestors is Patagonia, in Argentina, with a smaller contingent in Chile

Alex321

Veteran
Foreign places in UK is possibly common but its certainly true about UK places around the world. Iirc 17 Londons in 15 US states for example. Iirc Chile has an area with very strong links with Wales. I think there's a few Welsh place names used there. They also speak Welsh widely there as well as the local language too.

That is a part of Patagonia, which I believe is Argentina rather than Chile

matticus

Guru
That is a part of Patagonia, which I believe is Argentina rather than Chile

Wiki confirms that it spans both countries. Also:

Demographics
• Languages Rioplatense Spanish, Chilean Spanish, Mapudungun, Welsh

The Simon Reeves doc that went to Patagonia did a good bit on the Welsh communities (and it was an excellent series overall!)

I originally heard about the Chile population, but you are right about it spreading across parts of both countries.

Never saw Reeves trip but iirc that Welsh, former news anchor did a documentary about that population I think before Reeves did his series.

matticus

Guru
I originally heard about the Chile population, but you are right about it spreading across parts of both countries.

Never saw Reeves trip but iirc that Welsh, former news anchor did a documentary about that population I think before Reeves did his series.

The guy with the lopsided lips? (now disgraced)Hugh Edwards maybe?!?

Yes, that was good too!

Drago

Legendary Member
Speaking halting gaelic as I do, I have always been interested in Welsh as a language. Sadly the one Welsh speaking girlfriend I ever had may have misinformed me slightly as to the meaning of the phrases she was teaching me.

It turns out "cau dy geg" does not actually mean "good morning Vicar" as I was led to believe.

I now know an entire language of insults without actually knowing what any of them are.

Speaking halting gaelic as I do, I have always been interested in Welsh as a language. Sadly the one Welsh speaking girlfriend I ever had may have misinformed me slightly as to the meaning of the phrases she was teaching me.

It turns out "cau dy geg" does not actually mean "good morning Vicar" as I was led to believe.

I now know an entire language of insults without actually knowing what any of them are.

Funny how the phrase “minding your p’s and q’s” has nothing to do with P-Celtic Welsh and Q-Celtic Gaelic, just a funny coincidence.

My Polish language capabilities involve swearing, bad language, insults and descriptive words that go with a bad word linked to illegitimacy in the family. As to Welsh, I think being English I have probably heard a few insults in the past when visiting places (Mach... for one such place) but I was not aware of the meaning.

I did hear a story about when the hydro scheme at Dinorwig was being built. Two then young guys working on it spent a few seasons living in a spinster's cottage, locals were putting them up. Anyway, the guy I heard about and from who the story came from, woke up to see his mate leaving the room after he thought everyone was asleep. It was happening night after night until he decided to follow him. Turns out he was going downstairs to teach the lady's minor bird some english words.

Well the story goes that after getting back after a hard day work they found the lady stood waiting on the doorstep with their clothes in bags in front of her. They found out what the guy was teaching the bird, known as a good mimic. Apparently the woman was strict chapel and had the minister come round for a chat and some tea. It seems the bird on seeing the minister told him to eff off! The lady was mortified and couldn't bring herself to go to chapel for weeks afterwards! Those two guys later spent the winter kipping in a barn as there was no spare accomodation.

When at uni in the hike soc, apart from the welsh speaker there were two spanish speakers. One from Spain, who was great fun, the other was from Argentina, a paratrooper sent to England to get a degree before going back to army service. Anyway, the organisers put those two together for one trip thinking two spanish speakers. Not a very good idea. After half an hour the large, Argentinian para looked daggers at the spaniard and they got separated. The argie couldn't even talk to the guy without looking like thunder.

We asked the spaniard what had happened. He explained about the two versions of spanish. Apparently Spain has a vulgar use of words that is acceptable. To a south american spanish speaker it is highly rude and seriously offensive. That was what the spaniard told me. I also think the argentinian was just a little bit more uptight than most south americans and took it to heart. Apparently they see themselves as more european, cultured and educated than other south american nations, otherwise known as up themselves! He certainly was, but I doubt it was as simple as that for the whole nation.

I just think that language is amazing invention of humans and other species but especially in humans it has potential for offence too. No idea about the truth of Argentinian vs spanish version or use of the language, but it was a strange experience that weekend between the two spanish speakers.

Drago

Legendary Member
Aye, the ex Mrs D was Greek and a speaker of the lingo and she reckoned there were two dialects. Modern Greek, and village Greek that was closer to the languages classical form.

I just think that language is amazing invention of humans and other species but especially in humans it has potential for offence too. No idea about the truth of Argentinian vs spanish version or use of the language, but it was a strange experience that weekend between the two spanish speakers.

Like the Babel Fish in THHGTTG

Aye, the ex Mrs D was Greek and a speaker of the lingo and she reckoned there were two dialects. Modern Greek, and village Greek that was closer to the languages classical form.

I studied ancient Greek at school getting a GCSE in it. The teacher invited his Greek mate in to teach us. He's a teacher of English back in Greece but he too studied ancient Greek at a high level in university. He taught us differences and similarities between modern and ancient Greek. Not the same with differences and similarities in both words and grammar.

Another distinction in modern Greek language he told us was something about formal or higher Greek as used in official matters and the more common version spoken in day to day life. iirc they were close but a bit more than dialect in terms of difference. A long time ago now so I can't exactly remember the details. Kind of two modern and an ancient.

BTW recently I heard about a local language in the regions and countries North of Greece. Apparently there's a remote hill area where the local language, not the official country language, was sonething very, very close to ancient Greek. Close enough that they'd understand an ancient Greek if they ever met. Perhaps a bit like Polish and Czech languages in terms of understanding.

matticus

Guru
BTW recently I heard about a local language in the regions and countries North of Greece. Apparently there's a remote hill area where the local language, not the official country language, was sonething very, very close to ancient Greek. Close enough that they'd understand an ancient Greek if they ever met. Perhaps a bit like Polish and Czech languages in terms of understanding.
I heard something similar; I think it was in the remoter farms of ex-Yugoslavia, where the local language is pretty much proper Latin. They would have a different accent to the Pope speaking Latin in the Vatican, but he would easily understand them and vice versa!

I heard something similar; I think it was in the remoter farms of ex-Yugoslavia, where the local language is pretty much proper Latin. They would have a different accent to the Pope speaking Latin in the Vatican, but he would easily understand them and vice versa!

The one I heard about was a bit east of Macedonia and the language was ancient Greek. I thought part of Bulgaria.

Found the one, northern Turkey of all places, kind of east of old Thrace!

Language like ancient Greek

Top Bottom