New tyres!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steeevo

Good evening.

I currently ride a Trek Domane 3. I got myself a nice puncture last week & got a very slight cut in my tyre. I'm now a little paranoid as don't want to ride it as is. I'm looking at Gatorskins Hardshell as they are stronger than the Bontranger R1 that are standard on my bike..

My question is.. My wheels/tyres are 700x32, but was wondering if it was possible to put 28s on this rim?? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but im still new to cycling and was seeking some decent advice....

many thanks

Steve

Drago

Legendary Member
Almost certainly.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I agree with Drago that you can, but must ask why you want to fit narrower tyres.

Maybe you already have them or they're lots cheaper, which is fair enough, but you will lose some comfort and be unlikely to gain any speed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

steeevo

I agree with Drago that you can, but want to ask why you want to fit narrower tyres.

Maybe you already have them or they're lots cheaper, which is fair enough, but you will lose some comfort and be unlikely to gain any speed.

Many thanks.

I somehow thought that narrower tyres would roll quicker. Point taken. Like i said, i'm newish. Deffo no pro :smile:

Jameshow

Veteran
Wider tyres roll quicker, although not by any significant amount for the average rider.

Goodyear now do some cracking tyres thst may interest you.

I think quality tyres make more of a difference than wider or thinner tyres aerodynamically. The gatorskins I fear you will find to be heavy and wooden compared to top race tyres but more puncture resistant, so there's a balance you have to weigh up.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Current thinking amongst racers is that bigger is better. 25c or 23c were popular for years but now most are going to 30 or even 32c. More arero or something.
'30mm tyresThis width is something that only a couple of seasons ago would not have even fit on some top-spec race bikes. However, with the trend for wider tyres in full-swing, bike design has caught on with the latest generation of aero-optimised race bikes able to accept 30mm and wider.'

Jameshow

Veteran
No for the OP....
Sorry

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Don't ride in the gutter, mind the road surface, keep your tyres up to pressure, and you should get fewer punctures.

But also, learn to mend them. It's easiest to carry a spare tube or two rather than repairing one by the roadside.

Top Bottom