The 2024 Half Century (50km or 50 mile) Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
April round up ,We have 30 riders posted up and 1 rider yet to declare who tends to be a late poster so hopefully that means everyone who completed up to March is still in , Super start to May with 17 riders already posted up I think the 🌞 helps
Just back from a short break in Somerset which saw me complete a few rides in shorts and short sleeves and tick of another 50km ride which took in the climb up Cheddar Gorge which is absolutely stunning . Did in early morning so little traffic just had to dodge the goats 🐐 there was loads off them

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Up and out early again this morning with a 50 mile ride firmly in my mind by circling Northampton .
Out of town through Sywell , Moulton , Boughton , Harelstone , Nobottle , Harpole , Kislingbury , Rothersthorpe , Gayton , Blisworth , Quinton , Preston Deanery , Hackleton , Horton , Brafield on the green , Billing , Ecton , Sywell , Mears Ashby and home

Mileage 50.08 so target achieved

Bike used steel Hardisty

IMG_20240511_090737.jpg

FrothNinja

Veteran
Nice ride this morning to meet cycling friends for breakfast at the Wetherspoons in Portishead. Door to door was probably 90% cycle paths inc. the very muddy Ashton to Pill path that passes under the Clifton Suspension Bridge.

The only picture I took was of my Mushroom 🍄 Benedict... 👍

View attachment 730943

View attachment 730944

- points for the rocket
+ points for the proper muffin

Slick

Guru
I've finally ran out of excuses about not getting a ride in, as we cycled into Glasgow to jump the train to Newcastle and then out to the Port to pick up the boat, where we had a really poor experience with the guy directing the traffic, but I won't dwell on that.

The sailing over was perfect, cabins were small, but sufficient for what we needed them for and the food was first class. Arrived in bright sunshine and got through customs reasonably quickly.

Following my garmin, we made slow but steady progress for the first 15 miles or so, before it directed me into a National Park and that's where it all went wrong. I obviously took a wrong turn and rather than tell me to do a U turn, it directed me right out the park and then back in again the way we came adding around 20 miles to our trip.

It was no big deal as we had only planned a short first day anyway, but the steak and beer were welcome at the end of this one.

Hopefully todays run will be smoother.

Screenshot_20240516_083912_Connect.jpg

Slick

Guru
So today's run was a bit smoother in terms of the route, but Mrs Slick took a tumble when the front wheel slid out from under her on the most innocuous of corners, but it was that red painted surface. She has the Marathon + fitted, so they should have plenty grip, but she is looking for new tyres now, which will probably get its own thread on our return.

It was grey but dry when we left, but we did get caught in a biblical shower that left us seeking poor quality shelter under a tree. You obviously could write the next bit yourself but, when we got going again there was an underpass that would have provided perfect shelter had we known it was there. Brilliant sunshine quickly followed and it stayed that way for the remainder of the ride, so we soon dried out.

It was probably the slowest 34 miles I have ever completed but we had numerous stops for tea and biscuits and even a wee chat with some sheep that gave me the fright of my life when they snuck up on me. We also stopped at a bike shop, and Mrs Slick is the new proud owner of an anti glare mirror that will be absolutely useless when we get home as its on the wrong side.

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
Anyone else trying to perfect the art of doing the bare minimum?
7 of my 50km rides this year have been less than 50.3 km. Has anyone done all their rides that count for 1 point under 51km?

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Anyone else trying to perfect the art of doing the bare minimum?
7 of my 50km rides this year have been less than 50.3 km. Has anyone done all their rides that count for 1 point under 51km?
It's the target. There is a minimum but no maximum. Would you feel the same in the 100 mile challenge if you completed the year with all rides at 101miles?

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
It's the target. There is a minimum but no maximum. Would you feel the same in the 100 mile challenge if you completed the year with all rides at 101miles?

I'm doing the 100k challenge, so most of my 50k rides have been Just that, 50k. Whereas last year I did much more varied distances, possibly as I was focusing more on time in the saddle rather than distance.

Top Bottom