Tiny rides of 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Windle

Über Member
Another quick blast last night in shorts & short sleeves, although it was borderline temperature wise. Same route that I did on Saturday but on the Checkpoint for a decidedly bumpier experience, it's surprising how much difference bigger MTB tyres and basic elastomer front fork inserts make a' la Singletrack 810. There were quite a few people about and many lambs on the fell. I didn't take the camera as it was last minute rushed ride. What I also didn't do was put my baggy shorts on the right way round, I thought they didn't feel right and I wondered why the kids in the play park were pointing at me and laughing as I rode past on the way home :blush:. Had to tweak the front mech limiter screw after I'd got home as the chain was just touching when in the lowest sprocket.

TrishE

Über Member
IMG_20240509_144119145_HDR.jpg

I've not been on a ride since last time I posted on the thread. Since been diagnosed with early osteoarthritis in hips and knees I've got to keep moving and the doctor said walking, cycling, and swimming are good. First ride just a tiny one to the park next to where I live so not far at all but I got in a couple of hills which were ok thanks to the pedal assist and I feel much better for it so I need to continue and build up to a few more miles. Worst bit is struggling to manoeuvre the bike out of my flat and back in afterwards, thinking a Brompton sitting folded by the front door might be better. I've had folding bikes and never wanted a Brompton but been thinking about getting one for a while. I could walk up the hills get the walking in too!

IMG_20240509_144040735_HDR.jpg

Windle

Über Member
Another short ride to test the 'fettle' (read bodge) I'd done to the Bear Valley for pump carry-age. Down the lane to the gate at the railway path & back, including the little extra half mile cheat down the road towards Peathrow & back up on the way home (every mile counts in tiny rides) :laugh:.
This is the first time this gate's been closed for ages, there're lambs in the field around here now and the farmer mustn't want them buggering off up the railway path in a line making choo choo noises.

GOPR0951.JPG
Cable ties and sticky pad pump attachment. I could do with a new tool bottle cover, that one is the waterproof inside from a long gone seat pack and the bottle itself is a cut down 'Giro d' Italia' branded drinking bottle from the late 80's. I wish I had a pound for every mile that's covered over the years. It's a pity I can't get the very non grippy pedals off the Bear Valley, they're stuck fast. I could always change the cranks if I wanted to put spuds on it I suppose.
GOPR0949.JPG

Gunk

Guru
Lovely ride into Oxford today for a cup of coffee, I went in via the cycle lane along the A420 Botley road and came back along the river and Willow Walk. I‘m ashamed to say due to the distraction of my Brompton build and work commitments I haven’t ridden my Van Nic for over 12 months. I just instantly fell in love again, the best bike I have ever owned by far, it’s just so smooth and comfortable and the touring geometry suits a lazy old chap like me. The lovely mechanical Ultegra 6600 SL 10 speed groupset with Dura ace Brifters is a joy to use. Now I’ve stopped working, this will be hopefully the start of many similar rides this year.

IMG_3233.jpeg

IMG_3234.jpeg

IMG_3236.jpeg

Last edited:

a.twiddler

Veteran
17/5/24
Shopping trip on the Spirit Recumbent to the town centre.

A dry, intermittently sunny day. Since my last half century I’ve been side tracked by gardening tasks and suddenly find it’s been over two weeks since I’ve been out on a bike. My one ride per week average is slipping. At the beginning of the month I was ahead, now I’m in danger of being overtaken by time. So a shopping trip it is.

My tools and bits and pieces were still on the Spirit, tyres and oil were OK, so I just grabbed my Garmin and went. Once out through the back gate it was surprising how easy everything felt. On the road and rolling, no adjustments needed. Soon I was approaching the uphill traffic lights on Swanlow Lane, willing the lights to change before I came to a halt, then when the green came I kept on smoothly across the line. Up the tiny Swanlow Lane hump then gradually downhill to the A54 roundabout. Busy traffic formed a queue but there was no problem keeping with it as it stopped and flowed, stopped and flowed. Finally round the roundabout and gathering speed downhill. The traffic thinned out and I was able to go right across two lanes into the filter lane. Traffic was held up at the lights before turning right.

The town centre redevelopment is progressing. I was able to ride through a parking area that had been formerly blocked off, and carefully ride downhill to lock up outside my usual supermarket.

It didn’t take long to sort my shopping out, then as the bike was pointing downhill I continued in that direction. Down the hill, slowly following an unaware pedestrian until they turned off. It’s bad enough having to think for other road users but it seems that I have to double think for other people more and more nowadays as they seem to be away with the fairies. “We do the thinking so you don’t have to” is all very well but sooner or later I too will probably lose my marbles. Still. Might as well enjoy them while I’ve got ‘em.

Round to the right, along a pavement cycle path, then right again at the next junction. Across the road at some pedestrian lights then along the road until a supermarket car park entrance on the left. A path leads to residential streets beyond so I waited for a clutch of shoppers to go by before pushing through. Then followed a zig zag through the streets, gradually climbing until a last drag to the junction with Swanlow Lane where I turned left. Soon came the crossroads with Townfields Road, straight across the lights, down a dip and up to my turn off. A little freewheeling through the lanes, and to my back gate.

3.38 miles. Max 22.6. Average 7.2 mph. According to Garmin.

Ascent 110 ft. According to Bikehike.

Top Bottom