What have you bought for the bike today ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
A pair of unbranded flat pedals.

I fitted the Spa with new Shimano flats back in March; the idea was to give them a couple of months use before my trip to the Netherlands in May.

Annoyingly on my first day in NL the right pedal developed a click which became louder as the miles passed. This morning I popped into a bike shop in Apeldoorn and emerged €15 poorer and without the click. ^_^

Slick

Guru
A pair of unbranded flat pedals.

I fitted the Spa with new Shimano flats back in March; the idea was to give them a couple of months use before my trip to the Netherlands in May.

Annoyingly on my first day in NL the right pedal developed a click which became louder as the miles passed. This morning I popped into a bike shop in Apeldoorn and emerged €15 poorer and without the click. ^_^

I am on my way over now, but only going as far as The Haig tomorrow before carrying on south on a wee circular route.

Looks like a poor forecast for the week. :sad:

All uphill

Still rolling along
I am on my way over now, but only going as far as The Haig tomorrow before carrying on south on a wee circular route.

Looks like a poor forecast for the week. :sad:

Enjoy your trip; the forecasts I'm looking at for next week seem OK. Like the UK they will certainly change by the weekend anyway!

freiston

Veteran
Arrived today (Friday) for my utility bike (a 2nd hand 25 year old hybrid) - German import AXA Blueline 80 StVZO rear dynamo light from Amazon at £17.34 (originally tried to get a cheaper Büchel Tivoli but the order wasn't fulfilled). I'm generally not a fan of Amazon and look elsewhere but since Brexshit, sourcing dynamo products at a good price is challenging. It is paired with an Amazon German import Büchel Tour LED StVZO Headlight (45 Lux) that I got last month for £24.22 (cheaper now, I understand).

I'm using the dynamo-hubbed front wheel off my touring bike for the power but I've ordered a wheel off ebay (German import - Shimano DH-C3003 hub with Rigida Zac 19 rim) for £77.78 including delivery.

The lights both have standlight function and work fine; I have to say that the front light seems better (brighter and wider beam) than the Lidl 45 lux StVZO rechargeable front light that it's replacing. Neither front or the rear light came with wiring for the rear light but I have wire stocks and crimp stocks so this wasn't an issue for me.

All in all, I'm chuffed that I got a dynamo lighting rig, including new front wheel, for about £120 - though before 2016, I got a much better wheel and lights for substantially less (but since then prices have significantly increased in Germany - still cheaper than UK outlets though).

I've been using dynamo lighting since 2015 until this utility bike. I got through last winter with battery/rechargeable lights and I hated it - the faff of ensuring charge, taking the lights off, putting them back on, forgetting them (once I had to go into work on my day off to pick up my lights that I had forgotten the night before*) - and they were inferior to all dynamo lights I have had including the new ones. I'm a very happy and effectively lit cyclist now.

*My commute is part cycle to the train station, part train, and a short walk at the other end - I didn't realise I had forgotten my lights until I got to my bike after the train journey.

Arrived today (Friday) for my utility bike (a 2nd hand 25 year old hybrid) - German import AXA Blueline 80 StVZO rear dynamo light from Amazon at £17.34 (originally tried to get a cheaper Büchel Tivoli but the order wasn't fulfilled). I'm generally not a fan of Amazon and look elsewhere but since Brexshit, sourcing dynamo products at a good price is challenging. It is paired with an Amazon German import Büchel Tour LED StVZO Headlight (45 Lux) that I got last month for £24.22 (cheaper now, I understand).

I'm using the dynamo-hubbed front wheel off my touring bike for the power but I've ordered a wheel off ebay (German import - Shimano DH-C3003 hub with Rigida Zac 19 rim) for £77.78 including delivery.

The lights both have standlight function and work fine; I have to say that the front light seems better (brighter and wider beam) than the Lidl 45 lux StVZO rechargeable front light that it's replacing. Neither front or the rear light came with wiring for the rear light but I have wire stocks and crimp stocks so this wasn't an issue for me.

All in all, I'm chuffed that I got a dynamo lighting rig, including new front wheel, for about £120 - though before 2016, I got a much better wheel and lights for substantially less (but since then prices have significantly increased in Germany - still cheaper than UK outlets though).

I've been using dynamo lighting since 2015 until this utility bike. I got through last winter with battery/rechargeable lights and I hated it - the faff of ensuring charge, taking the lights off, putting them back on, forgetting them (once I had to go into work on my day off to pick up my lights that I had forgotten the night before*) - and they were inferior to all dynamo lights I have had including the new ones. I'm a very happy and effectively lit cyclist now.

*My commute is part cycle to the train station, part train, and a short walk at the other end - I didn't realise I had forgotten my lights until I got to my bike after the train journey.

It didn't occur to me that the Vote Which Must Not Be Named would cause problems in this area, but most dynamo lights we use are German or Dutch.

By the way, "StVZO" isn't part of the name, it's short for "Straßenverkehrs-Ordnung" the German traffic regulations*. I think most European lights conform to this because it's the highest standard. Until recently only Dynamo lights were allowed here, but recently they have relaxed the rules because a lot of people use battery lights anyway.

*Or if I forget to switch on Germany specific search on Google: "South Texas Veterinary Organisation".

freiston

Veteran
Yeah - but I always feel internally obliged to get StVZO in there to a) make the distinction, and b) "advertise" StVZO lights (at least front lights), as I'm often preaching their superiority and the evils of poorly designed front lights ^_^

Top Bottom