Your walk today...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geocycle

Legendary Member
When out walking I will often choose to use a single trekking pole if I know there will be steep descents. I always use mine with a rubber foot. I’m reasonably fit but it just takes the impact off my knees. Since Saturday is our walking day and Sunday my riding day I want to avoid injury!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
When out walking I will often choose to use a single trekking pole if I know there will be steep descents. I always use mine with a rubber foot. I’m reasonably fit but it just takes the impact off my knees. Since Saturday is our walking day and Sunday my riding day I want to avoid injury!

Single for me too on steep descents, and on steep ascents, especially with a pack filled with appropriate gear/fluids/fodder for a long haul in the mountains.

albion

Guru
That's a cracking part of the North East for walking, the coast especially. Back in the summer of 2018 the wife and I walked the whole coast from Seaton Carew up to Blyth ~ over many weekends I hasten to add. There're lots of contrasts between the urban areas and the more remote bits of coastal path. We walked over to St Mary's in glorious sunshine I seem to remember. I need to get back up there on the bike!

I like the seclusion of the beach at Hawthorn Dene.
Unfortunately that will soon end, if the 1500 new houses ongoing between Noses Point and the Dene is the total reported.
How can it be 'Seaham Garden Village' with 1500 houses in total?

presta

Guru
Has anyone been watching Yorkshire Walks on BBC4? It's a rare example of a walking program that's actually about walking: just the walker with a 360 camera, and an occasional aerial view from a drone. I've given up with the ITV ones where the presenter spends most of the time in shops/cafes/B&Bs making thinly disguised adverts for the business owners.

Windle

Über Member
I like the seclusion of the beach at Hawthorn Dene.
Unfortunately that will soon end, if the 1500 new houses ongoing between Noses Point and the Dene is the total reported.
How can it be 'Seaham Garden Village' with 1500 houses in total?

That's another of my favourite parts of the coast walk we did, that and Castle Eden Dene.
At first I wasn't sure what you meant about the new houses but then I remembered about the ongoing works (seemingly for years) and the new roundabout on the A182 going into Seaham, I'm assuming they're going to be built there. Another greenfield site turned into an enormous, congested 'cheek by jowl' housing estate with insufficient parking and open spaces :cursing:. I know the country needs new housing but it always seems to end up with greedy developers cramming in as many as possible.

albion

Guru
I wish the BBC would accept some of the stuff that ends up on Youtube.

Not everyone wants the very light entertainment of Larry, George and Robson Green.
That 5 show called Walking Britain's Lost railways was close to being fully acceptable, it getting plenty of history.

The BBC Yorkshire walks was decent, even if it did concentrate on personal angsts.

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Do trekking poles work well on pavement?

DSC_4698.JPG

These are the 'feet' that came with mine. So far I've only used the rubber ferrule ones.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
View attachment 731729

These are the 'feet' that came with mine. So far I've only used the rubber ferrule ones.

I leave the ferrules on all the time although occasionally I use the snow baskets when conditions dictate.

Ferrules can wear through very fast unless they have the little stainless washer inside to stop the carbide pole tip from punching a hole through it.

Top Bottom