1 Zebra Crossing or 2?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Did you know that it is sometimes 2 Zebra Crossings?
Yes.

Highway code:
Where there is an island in the middle of a zebra crossing, wait on the island and follow Rule 19 before you cross the second half of the road – it is a separate crossing.

hc_rule_20_zebra_crossings_with_a_central_island_are_two_separate_crossings.jpg

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
An excellent example of how motor vehicles have come to dominate Western society. Instead of just mandating in the law that pedestrians, once they start to cross, should be allowed to completely cross the road, they place a "refuge" in the middle of the road, and force pedestrians to wait in the middle if motorists are crossing the other half of the road.

(I did just read the relevant rules in the UK Highway Code, by the way, in case anyone's wondering)

FFS there is no obligation to come to a standstill. She (?) was crossing zebra 1 and would easily have seen you stop in peripheral vision and then continued over zebra 2. Absolutely no need to have come to an actual stop before the 2nd crossing.

Tedious.

Self righteous.

gbb

Legendary Member
An excellent example of how motor vehicles have come to dominate Western society. Instead of just mandating in the law that pedestrians, once they start to cross, should be allowed to completely cross the road, they place a "refuge" in the middle of the road, and force pedestrians to wait in the middle if motorists are crossing the other half of the road.

(I did just read the relevant rules in the UK Highway Code, by the way, in case anyone's wondering)

Not entirely right...the second you place a foot on the road (safely), cars are legally obliged to allow you to cross, the pedestrian has absolute right of way (barring a ped doing something stupid like walking into the side of a car, or stepping out when a car has no chance of stopping)
The refuges though just add a further uncertainty to it all. There may be a good reason for them in some circumstances, but i can't think what it is...near old peoples accomodation perhaps, to allow them to rest ?

robgul

Legendary Member
The question about zebra crossings and refuges in the middle was posed by my driving test examiner when I took the test nearly 50 years ago :angel:

T4tomo

Guru
the reason they use islands is to keep traffic moving whenthe ped is still 10 seconds away on teh otherside of say a 2 lanes each way road in towns.

zebra crossings are a poor concept full stop as the ped has to put themselves in danger to legally have hte right to cross. they used to workfine in the "old days" when drivers / cyclists were courteous and peds observant.

npw you gte cars and peds racing each other to get "control" of the crossing.

also nomination for most boring you tube video.^_^

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
the reason they use islands is to keep traffic moving whenthe ped is still 10 seconds away on teh otherside of say a 2 lanes each way road in towns.

zebra crossings are a poor concept full stop as the ped has to put themselves in danger to legally have hte right to cross. they used to workfine in the "old days" when drivers / cyclists were courteous and peds observant.

npw you gte cars and peds racing each other to get "control" of the crossing.

also nomination for most boring you tube video.^_^

I was always under the impression that an 'intent to cross' was sufficient reason to give way and having just re-read the code on that it doesn't seem to contradict me in that while the 'must' is attached to someone crossing, the advice is to
look out for pedestrians waiting to cross and be ready to slow down or stop to let them cross
and
be aware of pedestrians approaching from the side of the crossing.

I'm not sure what's controversial here? Do you have a video that says "remember, keep up to date with your Highway Code, there are laws in it". If not, you can have that suggestion for free. (Also, "chainsaws, don't keep them in your lap during operation").

OP
OP
Mr_Kipling

Mr_Kipling

Über Member
Probably should have followed her to her place of work & told her employer that her walking abilities are atrocious...ger her sacked...it's not on... :whistle:
I think you are missing the point. I'm not blaming the ped for anything. I made the decision to stop as soon as she stepped onto the first crossing.

Top Bottom