10 speed chain compatibility question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've just got my first road bike, a used Trek Alpha 2.5 that is equipped with a CN6700 Shimano chain on a 10 speed compact Ultegra drivetrain. It came from my brother so know its been very well looked after and has had little use.

I'm hoping to do my first audax in a couple of weeks, a 60 Km, and am putting together my packing list. I always used SRAM chains on MTB's and took along a spare split link and chain tool and had to use them a few times.

It seems its necessary to use a special pin and set of long nose pliers to join a shimano chain which seems like a lot of faff and extra weight to carry. I was wondering if a SRAM split link will work with a Shimano chain? Or is there a SRAM chain that will work well and give equivalent shifting performance with an Ultegra drivetrain?

I'm really not sure what to do about planning for chain troubles with a Shimano road chain so am seeking opinions please?

Thanks
Graham

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'm reasonably sure that KMC ten speed chains work with drive chains from all road bike manufacturers.. Their "missing links" are pretty good too. You can get a KMC chain and a link for about £15, all up, on Ebay.

Top Bottom