100 mile fixed gear ride - Spring 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norry1

Legendary Member
I bought a Langster Classic a while ago and enjoyed riding it for shortish runs, but as it was set up almost like a track bike, it wasn't great for distance. My bro has fitted more standard drop bars, and brakes with hoods (rather than centre pull) and it is now fit to be ridden for longer stuff :smile:

This may be old hat for you diehards, but I'd like to do a 100 miler on the fixed now. Anybody else fancy getting a Cyclechat Fixed Century ride sorted, or should I just go do a sportive on it?

Martin

@totallyfixed talked about it a while ago. It'd have to be a very flat 100miles for my heavy Viking to have any chance of completing it UK daylight hours ;)

robgul

Legendary Member
I rode about 70 miles on my fixed* across London and back a few weeks ago (London Sightseer Audax) ... my thighs took a week to recover !!

* 1980s Claud Butler 531 frame with chopped and flipped drop bars as bullhorns

... but I might be up for a 100 miler . . .

Rob

Howard

I've ridden the Dunwich Dynamo fixed twice - 120 miles.

You could ease yourself into it with a fnrttc fixed?

D

Deleted member 1258

@totallyfixed talked about it a while ago. It'd have to be a very flat 100miles for my heavy Viking to have any chance of completing it UK daylight hours ;)

Yes I remember that, sounded like fun. I've recently done a 76 mile lumpy fixed ride down to Honeybourne, did half the ride back with the clubs medium paced vets group.

jim55

Guru
iv got mine back on freewheel ,i need to negotiate a really steep slope downhill and a really tight turn at the same time on my commute and i tried it the other day and nearly fell off (well i saved it by leaning against a bollard),i have to bump up a few pavements and its just easier on freewheel.
i really dont get the zen like stuff that people mention about fixed,but i do find it easier to keep a more constant speed,

rb58

Enigma
If the ride is within easy reach of London, I'd be up for it. I've only done one century on my fixed, although this weekend's FNRttC could be the second if the weather forecast improves enough so I don't need mudguards (don't tell Simon I said that!)

Top Bottom