1700+ killed in transport tragedy but no coverage?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Although part of the problems is that the lower mortality rates reflect an improvement in trauma care - the collisions still occurred but the victims survived. A lot of those who survived did so with horrific long term implications such as brain damage or other permenant disabilities.
Yes. And then again no.
"KSI" stands for "Killed and Seriously Injured"
KSIs_graph.gif

I haven't checked the data, but have no reason to suppose it's wrong.

That mostly happened in the 1960s and 1970s - in the 1980s and 1990s the trend was more towards bypass building to encourage more vulnerable road users in town centres.
I don't buy either that that was the purpose of bypass building, or that it worked. Speeds and volumes of local traffic are as much a deterent to vulnerable road users as speeds and densities of through traffic.
IIRC in 1970 80% of 8 - 12 yr olds travelled to school independently. In 1990 this had dropped to 9%. Road space was surrendered to the motorised vehicle user.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Although part of the problems is that the lower mortality rates reflect an improvement in trauma care - the collisions still occurred but the victims survived. A lot of those who survived did so with horrific long term implications such as brain damage or other permenant disabilities.

Yes. And then again no.
"KSI" stands for "Killed and Seriously Injured"
KSIs_graph.gif

I haven't checked the data, but have no reason to suppose it's wrong.

it'd be interesting to see the graph showing the number of RTAs (but only the serious ones).. i guess they'll increase up until the breathalyser and begin to tail off, but how sharp or shallow me wonders??

*note... i would search myself but my tea's* in the oven

*supper to some

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I don't buy either that that was the purpose of bypass building, or that it worked. Speeds and volumes of local traffic are as much a deterent to vulnerable road users as speeds and densities of through traffic.
IIRC in 1970 80% of 8 - 12 yr olds travelled to school independently. In 1990 this had dropped to 9%. Road space was surrendered to the motorised vehicle user.
You're right - I was wrong about the purpose (typing while not in full posession of brain). But bypass building is successful in taking traffic away from town centres. The reduction of the proportion of kids travelling to school independently was as much to do with rising affluence (more families with cars) and increased perception of traffic risk out of kilter with actual risk. And, probably, increased perception of "stranger danger" risk.

young Ed

Veteran
If you want mass sympathy and publicity for dying in an accident of sorts, you better not die in dibs and drabs. Club in with a few hundred others and do it all at once.
and don't do it on the roads, pack you all into a plane or a boat and go down. gets more publicity and coverage
Cheers Ed

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
You're right - I was wrong about the purpose (typing while not in full posession of brain). But bypass building is successful in taking traffic away from town centres. The reduction of the proportion of kids travelling to school independently was as much to do with rising affluence (more families with cars) and increased perception of traffic risk out of kilter with actual risk. And, probably, increased perception of "stranger danger" risk.
I'd imagine the social change of all parents working also effected things.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I am sure if 150'ish people...some of which might be school children died in a car crash it would most probably gain a little coverage...might even gain a few throw away comments offering "all sympathy".

Its a ridiculous comparison. Millions of people die every year...billions probably...do you want press coverage and sympathy for all of them. How many of them contributed to their own demise rather than just sat in a plane seat.

How can you possible know the circumstances of every death to demand action against "this disaster" what is "this disaster"...define it for me. Truth is you have no clue...you have just come onto the internet demanding the same sympathy for a collection of unrelated incidents and shown significant lack of sympathy fir those who may be related to the people lost in the alps

Its a horrific incident. I just hope those who are related don't happen across discussions like this on the internet.

In KSI terms we reach that tally every fortnight. The figures are ten children killed or seriously injured on the roads every single day, that's one of the worst rates in Western Europe. The press coverage just isn't there.

Top Bottom