17th April 2015 Night Ride to Bognor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
You do realize that killing him would not make any appreciable difference to the odds, right?

I have feelings you know, all this bandying around of 'killing him' is quite hurtful.....porky

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Well, that was fab. Thanks Tim for organising so well, and for the pep talks. Lovely weather, and a small group moved so briskly. We were positively whizzing on the leg S of Gatwick.

For some reason my body is never receptive to a big breakfast after riding, so the kippers and so forth had to wait. But could I resist those enormous toffee muffins? Could I heck.

Due to the tragic untimely death of my GPS the ride back was navigationally interesting. @robjh soon realised that if he was to try to make his train he had to go it alone, leaving me and @Gordon P and @Eddie_C navigate our way to Horsham as best we could.

Now some years ago a very wise man said
please don't go back on the B2139 to Storrington. I'm begging you! .

We went back on the B2139 to Storrington. Into a headwind. Mainly for navigational simplicity. It had just been resurfaced with that with that tar-and-chips cracks papering over. It was undulating stone-chips-in-the-face, dusty and quite nasty. That section of road aside, the ride back to Horsham, along a quirky route was great. And we met a Canadian with a cutting-edge brand new bike on the train going back.

Thanks everyone

86004-75092e82cd1c9f8fdd93aa88a47062fd.jpg

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
What a great night out! Thanks to Tim for organising and to everyone for you company. The route from Gatwick to Bognor was lovely, and the BA engineering facilities really impressive. Sorry for dashing off in Arundel. I made the 8:39am train out of Barnham and was in London by 10:16. And look who I bumped into on the ride from Victoria to Highbury:

20150418-IMG_0780.jpg

Half and hour of kip on the train and two hours at home saw me through our afternoon tea.
Here are some shots from the ride.
20150418-IMG_0724.jpg

20150418-IMG_0730.jpg

20150418-IMG_0749.jpg

20150418-IMG_0752.jpg

20150418-IMG_0754.jpg

20150418-IMG_0758.jpg

20150418-IMG_0774.jpg

BromyG

Veteran
Many thanks to Tim for organising last night! Didn't quite make a complete SMRbtH, but did make it part of the way, ending up in Brighton. Strong headwind all the way though! Thanks to everyone for a great ride with great company! https://www.strava.com/activities/288002419

theclaud

Openly Marxist
What a great night out! Thanks to Tim for organising and to everyone for you company. The route from Gatwick to Bognor was lovely, and the BA engineering facilities really impressive. Sorry for dashing off in Arundel. I made the 8:39am train out of Barnham and was in London by 10:16. And look who I bumped into on the ride from Victoria to Highbury:

20150418-IMG_0780.jpg

Half and hour of kip on the train and two hours at home saw me through our afternoon tea.
Here are some shots from the ride.
20150418-IMG_0724.jpg

20150418-IMG_0730.jpg

20150418-IMG_0749.jpg

20150418-IMG_0752.jpg

20150418-IMG_0754.jpg

20150418-IMG_0758.jpg

20150418-IMG_0774.jpg
Look at my farking red trousers dot com!

Great pics, Olaf.

jiberjaber

Veteran
Another great ride with you lot, thanks for Tim for organising.

Home to Chelmsford rail station was uneventful, however I did turn back after 500m to change gloves which I was glad I did as it was chilly at points in the morning. Once at Liverpool Street, the trip to Hyde Park Corner via Euston to meet up with Lee W again was fairly uneventful, I'd used cycle.travel to plan the routes and it had picked out all the quiet cycle paths to get there.

Managed to go past HPC the first time as I was looking for a blue lit up structure, but that would appear to be the lighting just for David Beckham's whiskey launch of the last FNRTTC.

A gentle roll out of London via the hills of Coulsdon, "Lunch" at Gatwick with the Police laying on some entertainment and then me falling down the stairs on the way out carrying my bike resulted in some DI2 issues which threatened to be the end of my ride mid way through. A great team effort and I had diagnosed the cable in the shifter had come out. I'll fix that so it doesn't happen again when I re-do the bar tape, another victim of the event (as was my backside as I slid down the flight of steps on it!)

Off down to the coast after lunch, with the spirited climbing sprints continuing, sun rise and a trip over the Ghurka bridge, past picturesque Arundel Castle and a sunny roll into Felpham at 9am and breakfast.

To the train station via a roll up and down the sea front to pick up a few KM for Lee to exceed the Strava 130km challenge.

Train was quiet at Bognor, but due to an incident on the normal Brighton route, returning travelers at Gatwick and Chelsea fans travelling to the match it soon became similar to a packed commuter tube train which made my exit at East Croydon very interesting. What I thought would be a slow ride back to the in-laws went quite well with the wind assist and some new found energy from the rest on the train.

Great crowd and enjoyable ride but not sure when I will be able to make the next one due to other hobby commitments.... will have to work the calendar to get some more in this year. Cheers all! :biggrin:

Pictures here

full?d=1429394650.jpg

full?d=1429394650.jpg

Top Bottom