17th July 2015 Night Ride to Whitstable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I understand what you're saying, but the ride as it is can't be described as easy and flat.
It's mostly easy and flat, but for understandable reasons that bastard hill rather spoils things. I remember my first Whitstable - it came as a bit of a shock. But there is (on a good day) a great view from the top, and the swoopy descent is quite fun.

Yes, you're right. On my personal Hill B*****dometer it's a nasty little climb. For your good self and many others it's much worse.
You might want to re-phrase yourself there Stu - I'd might be just me, but that comment could be seen as a tad patronising, which I'm sure wasn't the intention.

I always assumed Simon changed the route a couple of years ago to add in the longer hill to try and slow up the ride, bearing in mind the rapid peloton that now forms on the final run-in.

PaulRide

Always at opposition
I see from the list of riders that there was a Martin E among the Martins on the ride this weekend, and I think I may even have shared a breakfast table with the Martin in question. In case you drop in on this thread, I gather you're a friend of the esteemed Lord Noel of Ladywell, finder of welsh poets' graves, architect, shirt critic and generally top bloke.

Last edited:

rb58

Enigma
I'm confused. Remember that I usually recall very little of a route but I thought Basser Hill was the one we went down that I hated (and climbed up on the SMRbtH). Admittedly it's Kent which suggests where there's a downhill I must have climbed something, just don't remember it. :sad: (I think it's time for the "memory" conversation with my GP)
You're thinking of Bysing Wood. Very steep and fast downhill on the FNRttC and a tester in reverse.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
You might want to re-phrase yourself there Stu - I'd might be just me, but that comment could be seen as a tad patronising, which I'm sure wasn't the intention.
Indeed it was't. An individual nastynessofhillometer is exactly that, individual....
That post has been edited, to make absolutely sure.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
That's an odd hill, in that it always surprises me. Even though I know beforehand that it's going to surprise me it still manages it. I find myself thinking "this wasn't this long or hard last time". Also I was having a bit of a Bad Knee Day this time out.

I don't actually mind hills too much, but I've had a look at the maps and an estuarine diversion could be quite nice. Especially if it goes past Bedlam's Bottom.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm confused. Remember that I usually recall very little of a route but I thought Basser Hill was the one we went down that I hated (and climbed up on the SMRbtH). Admittedly it's Kent which suggests where there's a downhill I must have climbed something, just don't remember it. :sad: (I think it's time for the "memory" conversation with my GP)

It's a climb either direction.

Top Bottom