17th July 2015 Night Ride to Whitstable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Trickedem

Trickedem

Guru
@topcat1 Brilliant photos. It looks like you managed to capture everyone. More than once!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
One thing I was going to mention, but forgot, was the stupid cycle path/cycle lane in Chatham(?). It ran right alongside a dedicated parking area. So effectively doubled up as a cycle path and and indication of the door-zone, enabling you to maximise your chances of being caught by a carelessly opened car door.

rb58

Enigma
One thing I was going to mention, but forgot, was the stupid cycle path/cycle lane in Chatham(?). It ran right alongside a dedicated parking area. So effectively doubled up as a cycle path and and indication of the door-zone, enabling you to maximise your chances of being caught by a carelessly opened car door.
Eltham Hill is exactly the same. Curb > parking > cycle lane (width perfectly aligned to the width of a car door) > traffic. They're not big on common sense round there.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
You might want to re-phrase yourself there Stu - I'd might be just me, but that comment could be seen as a tad patronising, which I'm sure wasn't the intention.

I always assumed Simon changed the route a couple of years ago to add in the longer hill to try and slow up the ride, bearing in mind the rapid peloton that now forms on the final run-in.
I'm no fan of Basser Hill, but the way we used to go has a gravel-strewn descent that is just way too risky for a group bike ride. And it has a smaller hill. And it's three quarters of a mile longer....

U

User10571

I'm no fan of Basser Hill, but the way we used to go has a gravel-strewn descent that is just way too risky for a group bike ride. And it has a smaller hill. And it's three quarters of a mile longer....
I confess to having wondered what demons possessed you to include Basser Hill whilst missing out the picturesque oast houses in Newington featuring palm trees in the front gardens (a historical and natural feature of Kent. Guardian? Anyone?) and an 11th century church. On reflection, the old route's gravelly bits were, and still are, sphincter clenchers in broad daylight, never mind in darkness or twilight.
It is a $h!t surface.
And best avoided, group ride or otherwise.
The 'extra 9' variant is, however, sublime, and climb -free :smile:
Sea level stuff....

Last edited by a moderator:

mmmmartin

Random geezer
and an 11th century church
Come, come. No mention of any church is complete without full details of the link to Princess Margaret..........

Top Bottom