17th July 2015 Night Ride to Whitstable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
B****cks!!! I'm sure I checked this before I asked to come along but I'm on call that weekend. Feck. Sorry.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
I wrote a pm and thought i was in on 27th may; yet dont appear on the list....
not as bob c anyway
is all ok or are recumbents a step too far?
I guess Tim asked for a new email, rather than a PM. Having organised similar rides, I know why - it's a nightmare keeping abreast of incoming messages on different channels.

OP
OP
Trickedem

Trickedem

Guru
Numbers are starting to pick up now, which is good. The updated list is below. I am doing a recce ride this weekend.

Adrian C
Andrew F
Bob C
Carl P
Emily D
Dave F
Dave M
Gordon P
Greg S
Jason B
Jenny M
John M
John O
Julie G
User10571 B
Kim W
Martin T
Ross C
Paul R
Peter L
Sonia W
Steve R
Stuart A

Last edited:

kimble

Veteran
is all ok or are recumbents a step too far?
I intend to do it on a recumbent. I mean, I could use an upwrong if people insist, but it'll only slow things down with all the whinging... :smile:
It's an eminently 'bentable ride. Plenty of flat stuff (for a non-Londoner's definition of 'flat').

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I intend to do it on a recumbent. I mean, I could use an upwrong if people insist, but it'll only slow things down with all the whinging... :smile:
It's an eminently 'bentable ride. Plenty of flat stuff (for a non-Londoner's definition of 'flat').
Many rides are 'bentable... a few forumites have done the IOW Randonnee, And the Island's really, really not flat.

OP
OP
Trickedem

Trickedem

Guru
And think how fast you'll be able to go, if we do the Shooters Hill option!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Oh yeah!!! We've got to do the Shooters Hill option!!!
high on risk, low on inclusiveness. We used to do Watling Street on the way to Southend, but once we got to about 30 strong it just became too darn frightening. And people on heavy bikes or recumbents (including Andy Gates, who is a tough item) found it really hard going, so the faster riders were hanging about for 20 minutes on the outskirts of Dartford.

Last edited:

martint235

Dog on a bike
Probably not. It goes too near to your house and the temptation may be too much
high on risk, low on inclusiveness
Strangely enough I was thinking about the risks this morning. On my commute home, I'll often hit 40mph down there and was thinking if this was an FNRttC I'd probably be on my brakes the whole way down. Oh well, just have to go and see the animals in the Woolwich Zoo instead :smile:

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
high on risk, low on inclusiveness. We used to do Watling Street on the way to Southend, but once we got to about 30 strong it just became too darn frightening. And people on heavy bikes or recumbents (including Andy Gates, who is a tough item) found it really hard going, so the faster riders were hanging about for 20 minutes on the outskirts of Dartford.

In May or June 2012, just before LonJOG, did my first ride back to London after a Whitstable FNRttC (because the first LonJOG leg really freaked me out, as the last time I had ridden 120 miles in one go had been in 1990). I thought I was cleverer than @dellzeqq and took a shorter, quicker route home, skipping this weird detour along the Thames. Well, I found myself crawling up Shooter hill (coming the other way) and shooting down down towards London. The view from the top down on London was a bit of a compensation, but I still cursed myself. .

Top Bottom