17th July 2015 Night Ride to Whitstable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User10571

In May or June 2012, just before LonJOG, did my first ride back to London after a Whitstable FNRttC (because the first LonJOG leg really freaked me out, as the last time I had ridden 120 miles in one go had been in 1990). I thought I was cleverer than @dellzeqq and took a shorter, quicker route home, skipping this weird detour along the Thames. Well, I found myself crawling up Shooter hill (coming the other way) and shooting down down towards London. The view from the top down on London was a bit of a compensation, but I still cursed myself. .
Stay close to the water = climb little. Or something.:okay:
I can only guess that at the end of a longish ride, climbing Shooters Hill would've been unwelcome work.....

martint235

Dog on a bike
Stay close to the water = climb little. Or something.:okay:
I can only guess that at the end of a longish ride, climbing Shooters Hill would've been unwelcome work.....
It can be unpleasant! The other way (Kent bound) does tend to be worse though as you'll usually have just climbed another hill (Blackheath Hill, up from Woolwich or up the South Circular). Anyways I digress.

OP
OP
Trickedem

Trickedem

Guru
What he said ^^^^^ give or take another 20 minutes! It will depend on things such as the weather, visitations, diversions, roadworks etc.

OP
OP
Trickedem

Trickedem

Guru
Updated rider list. There's 10 or so riders, who I am awaiting emails from, but sounds like we are going to have a good turnout.
Adrian C
Andrew F
Arthur C (from halfway)
Bob C
Carl P
Charles E
Charlotte B
Chris B
Eddie C
Emily D
David A
Dave F
Dave M
Gordon P
Greg S
Howard K
Jason B
Jenny M
John M
John O
Julie G
User10571 B
Kim W
Lee T
Martin B
Martin E
Martin T
Mick D
Ross C
Paul R
Peter L
Sonia W
Stephen B
Steve R
Stuart A
Tim D

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

No mate, though may join you for brekkie and the SMRbtH.

OP
OP
Trickedem

Trickedem

Guru
I have to declare myself less than certain as I am now on standby for a goodwill mission to inject some money into the Greek economy.
Or to take advantage of a very cheap holiday, in one of the few places in the Med without a potential terrorist threat. I like your thinking!

hatler

Guru
high on risk, low on inclusiveness. We used to do Watling Street on the way to Southend, but once we got to about 30 strong it just became too darn frightening. And people on heavy bikes or recumbents (including Andy Gates, who is a tough item) found it really hard going, so the faster riders were hanging about for 20 minutes on the outskirts of Dartford.
Is http://fnrttc.blogspot.com/ out of action pending the promised re-launch ?

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Updated rider list. There's 10 or so riders, who I am awaiting emails from, but sounds like we are going to have a good turnout.
Adrian C
Andrew F
Arthur C (from halfway)
Bob C
Carl P
Charles E
Charlotte B
Eddie C
Emily D
David A
Dave F
Dave M
Gordon P
Greg S
Jason B
Jenny M
John M
John O
Julie G
User10571 B
Kim W
Lee T
Martin E
Martin T
Mick D
Ross C
Paul R
Peter L
Sonia W
Steve R
Stuart A
Tim D
Did my email not arrive, i will resend asap.
Edit.. I spelt whitstable wrong!!

OP
OP
Trickedem

Trickedem

Guru
A few more riders added. We are now on a meaning of life number:- 42
Adrian C
Andrew F
Arthur C (from halfway)
Bob C
Carl P