18 stoner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

garryoke63

Cannondale all the way
I fancy getting myself a set of Campag Zonda`s but as im 18st ive been advised against it. is there any more of my weight out there that has bought the Zonda`s and had no problems?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Any weight limits from Campag ? Might be the spoke pattern ?

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm around 14.5 stone and had to replace the fulcrum 5s on the tourer with handbuilts with 36 spokes on the back due to spokes working loose. Might be worth looking into handbuilts or losing a few kgs before getting the wheels

Fulcrum / campag have an 82kg recommended max weight on the fulcrum 5s after which they don't cover under warranty I think, imagine the zondas are similar

vickster

Legendary Member
I think mine look pretty flash ... And I went for something very traditional which is the look I like! Can't stand those black deep dish style wheels. Mine cost rather less than Zondas despite good parts being used. They are no heavier than the 5s either

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I think Campagnolo have a max weight suggestion of 109KG (17.1 stone). Over 90KG they suggest that you check and retrue your wheels more frequently. I ride Zondas and weigh 95KG, I have not had a single problem. I am a firm believer that some people are rougher on wheels than others and that weight limits are not necessarily a good guide. However, I will say that spoke replacement on Zondas is not cheap or easy - at 18st I would be looking elsewhere.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Is that per wheel, or per rider?

OP
OP
garryoke63

garryoke63

Cannondale all the way
I'm around 14.5 stone and had to replace the fulcrum 5s on the tourer with handbuilts with 36 spokes on the back due to spokes working loose. Might be worth looking into handbuilts or losing a few kgs before getting the wheels

Fulcrum / campag have an 82kg recommended max weight on the fulcrum 5s after which they don't cover under warranty I think, imagine the zondas are similar
Already got them as a present, just a bit doubtful about fitting them

OP
OP
garryoke63

garryoke63

Cannondale all the way
Thanks for all answers. ive already got the Zondas as a present, don't want to offend the missus by not using them but don't want to squash them either catch 22 time eh

vickster

Legendary Member
Well the max weight limit for warranty is 98kg apparently. 18 stone is 114kg or so, so it's up to you

Might be fine or they may need regular repairs or rebuilds :smile:

Or explain to swmbo, return them and get in touch with DCR for example about handbuilts

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
I'm a chunky 16 stone and don't have problems... I even had some dura ace c24 for a while that stayed true.

I think the secret is to be sympathetic to the wheels, if you do have to do over a rough patch don't sit on the bike like a sack of spuds, raise yourself off the saddle and let the bike pivot underneath you and try to make yourself as light as possible if you are hitting an up hump.

CUBE CRD

I think the secret is to be sympathetic to the wheels, if you do have to do over a rough patch don't sit on the bike like a sack of spuds, raise yourself off the saddle and let the bike pivot underneath you and try to make yourself as light as possible if you are hitting an up hump.

Exactly - I'm 17st and find my wheels stay true longer if I 'reduce the abuse' :bicycle:

OP
OP
garryoke63

garryoke63

Cannondale all the way
I'm a chunky 16 stone and don't have problems... I even had some dura ace c24 for a while that stayed true.

cheers for that, hopefully the weight will come off in time

Top Bottom