1896 Aluminium bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
Aluminium bicycle made in France and retailed by the Lu-Min-Um Manufacturing Company, St Mary’s Gate, Manchester, 1896.

On display at the Manchester Science Museum.

Personally, I think that this is a good looking bike for 1896, but it needs a longer top tube. Note, it's front brake only, so road legal today, if they let you take it for a ride.

lu-min-um-bicycle.jpg

I can see cast lugs. What holds the tubes in place? Scewed and glued?

If it is a one piece, is it hollow or solid?
If hollow, what was the internal mould?
If cast on one piece, why the step change in thickness at "lugs".
The Kirk magnesium frame shows some of the issues with one piece cast frames
I need to know....

Last edited:
OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru

davidphilips

Veteran
Looks like an an engineering master piece considering that it was made in 1896 and its lasted more than a life time and still looks great, wonder how much it sold for when new bet its worth a lot more now?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Definitely a bike to be admired in a museum, rather than ridden.

The restored version in the photos shows smoothe tube intersections as you would expect from casting not lug-styled bulge shown in the museum piece..
Head tube looks very modern.

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
The restored version in the photos shows smoothe tube intersections as you would expect from casting not lug-styled bulge shown in the museum piece..
Head tube looks very modern.
As curator's, does the Manchester Science Museum have permission to "Upgrade" their exhibits, so they are more aesthetically pleasing to viewers.

As curator's, does the Manchester Science Museum have permission to "Upgrade" their exhibits, so they are more aesthetically pleasing to viewers.
They would be just about unique among museums if they were.
As a general rule, something can only be changed for safety, or to prevent deterioration. If something is changed, records (drawings or photograph) are carefully kept, along with the original parts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom