18M route with hills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

craig kennedy

I am a geek
My wife used to ride (horses) in the Boughton area, and has created a route for me that takes in a couple of steep ish hills and a lengthy hill,. Just done it and feel great, so pleased about that, also did it using a mix of fruit juice, water and a little salt, as per this forums suggestions. Stopped mid way round and ate my peanut butter sarny.

Great run, and a pleasant one as well, ending with a zoom back through town.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/803659381

OP
OP
craig kennedy

craig kennedy

I am a geek
this will now be my regular practice route, and Ill be extending it as I get fitter to go down Linton hill, and accross counry a little.

OP
OP
craig kennedy

craig kennedy

I am a geek
I know its only 18 miles, and its nothing compared to many of you guys and gals, but I feel a great sense of achievement, I only stopped at lights, I never stopped on the steep hills, or on any of the long hill climbs, and managed on the level parts to average 15-17mph which is not bad for me, bearing in mind I have cycled maybe 50 miles all together since starting to cycle (not including last years first cycle with San Fairy Anne club on 32 miles which was murder on my ass) so for me, I feel like I achieved something today.

Wafer

Veteran
The distance is fine, I have a nice 15ish mile route I do semi regularly, some nice countryside, couple hills and means I get to see change over time on Strava. It's a nice length for the occasional after work ride too. When I'm feeling good finishing that loop I know I can try something a bit longer or harder, so just done 28miles today, loads more climbing than normal, was struggling last few miles despite lengthy stop I the middle but chuffed to have completed it ^_^

It's all about enjoying yourself rather than comparing yourself to everyone else :smile:

13 rider

Guru
Well done . We all start somewhere ,7 months ago that would have been a long ride for me now I thing nothing of 40_50 miles . I also do plenty of climbing I believe it build fittnes quicker on short hillier route compared to longer flat rides

Renmurew

Veteran
Slap on the back from me too. Looks like a great ride and one that you will be able adapt as your fitness increases. My training loop is 11 miles including 1 category 5 hill. 6 months ago I thought I'd never get round it without stopping and the idea of taking on the hill without stopping was almost laughable. Fast forward 6 months and I do exactly that and did a 40 mile cycle this morning with 2 big hills and 2 lengthy climbs and only stopped once after 25 miles for my malt loaf sandwich. Yum yum

It's great to have a practice loop where you really see your progress and that keeps pushing you on.

Well done you

Wendy

Top Bottom