1930's Raleigh Golden Arrow value?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shadaboot27

I have just bought this 1930's Golden Arrow Bike from a car boot sale. I know that they are very rare and very collectible but could anyone tell me a rough estimate of the value of this? It is in fantastic original condition as well with all the original parts, it will clean up very well. All the decals are clear and intact, the chrome is all good, it has fluted cranks, rat trap pedals, drum brakes, lauterwasser handlebars and sturmey archer gears.

_57.jpg

_573.jpg

_571.jpg

_572.jpg

_574.jpg

_575.jpg

_576.jpg

_577.jpg

_578.jpg

_579.jpg

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Nice find mate. It'll look great when restored.

OP
OP
shadaboot27

shadaboot27

It is a very nice bike, It's such a shame though that they never made these in my size, all these high end sports bikes from the 30's all had 21'' frames :sad: So I will be restoring it and selling it. I'd love to keep it but it's just far too small.

OP
OP
shadaboot27

shadaboot27

The corrosion is usually no worse on the inside than it is on the outside. This bike has most defiantly been dry stored for a very long time and Only has minimal surface rust. This bike will be 100% safe to ride when I'm done cleaning it up.

Swifty

Über Member
That looks great it looks in really good condition my 1930s bike had also been dry stored and didn't appear to have much rust inside the tubes even with the surface rust outside it will be a great project

OP
OP
shadaboot27

shadaboot27

These bikes were dipped in a special chemical that prevents rust, then after that dipped in black enamel. As they are dipped the enamel is on the inside of the tubes as well as the outside. I have ridden many pre 50's bikes and have had no issues with any of them. These bikes were built to last. A little bit if surface rust isn't a hazard what so ever.

Swifty

Über Member
Wish I had found that yours looks pre 1934 due to the lack of white paint on rear mudguard being a raleigh it should be easier to date accurately mine had a serial number but no records to date it from

OP
OP
shadaboot27

shadaboot27

I always find it hard to date these bikes via the serial numbers, in fact I've never been able to date them with the serial numbers, the numbers my bikes have can never been found on any charts. The best way to date them is with the rear hub, but if that is missing or not original then its really hard to date.

Swifty

Über Member
Drum brakes are quite rare on these old style bikes raleigh seemed to like this system on certain models my freewheel hub has no date stamps just a perry made in England would also like to know like yourself how you work out a value for bikes of this era

Top Bottom