1958 Royal Enfield Zephyr

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Just finished restoring this little gem. All original apart from the new brake cables, inner tubes and tyres. Only bad point was the broken end on the rear mudguard.
image.jpg
image.jpg

now THAT IS NICE....:bravo:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Really nice job Tony, whats the saddle? a severely chopped B17n with a cross rivet? It has the look of a Swallow but I don't think they ever came with saddlebag mounts and they didn't have a central rivet they had a plate holding the sides together ( If all the blurb surrounding the limited edition re-issue Swallow I paid for is to be believed, but then they went and made another 999 black ones 2yrs later and now they are back in the line-up. Still, I have one of the first numbered/certificated ones and it gets ridden) BTW, the Swallow was based on the B17 and its closest relative is the narrow version in terms of feel/width .

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Different to my 2005 Limited Edition one which has a plate underneath that joins the sides together and is skived away then stitched along the bottom edge.
This was allegedly (according to Brooks) a "faithful reproduction" of the original Swallow from the 30s so it seems that they changed the construction quite a bit as John the Canuck also has a vintage B15 from the 50s that is totally different in construction to either of ours.
Mind you they now make standard/stock versions of the Swallow with either Steel or Titanium rails but still have a few of the 2007 black LE versions listed at FIVE HUNDRED AND NINETY Euros:eek: on their own website. (you do get a certificate of authenticity that links via a serial No with them though)
BTW I took a very deep breath and paid just over £200 for mine thinking it would be the Swallows last incarnation.:headshake:

OP
OP
Tony Raynor

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
I'm not a great cyclist so I'll wait to report when my son has given it a ride around (I'm just the grease monkey).

Top Bottom