1999 dawes discovery 601/501 (blue) - violent theft hackney

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

harrytuttle

Hello Cyclechat

This is my first post, apologies if it breaks etiquette...

Just posted this on another forum, but I think it's well worth posting here too.

I thought this was worth bringing to your attention, not so much because of the bike but more the way it was stolen.

Bike details first (from what i can remember) - Dawes discovery 501/601 (not sure which), about ten years old, blue coloured frame, 'cowhorn' handlebars, front shocks (not sure of the make), cycle saddle with some kind of suspension built in, black Abus d-lock attached to frame, front wheel slightly buckled, brake pads severely worn down - might have been a sticker on the frame from 'byways bicycles' but I'm not certain.

The bike isn't in tip-top condition although I've been slowly doing it up. It was stolen from me by three teenagers/ men in their early 20s while I was cycling along the towpath on the edge of Hackney marshes at about 18.30 this evening. They kicked me off the bike before cycling off on it.

I just wanted to warn the rest of you - be alert! I'd been pretty complacent, having cycled that route since October with no problems. Don't cycle down deserted cycle paths, especially at night. If you see people waiting on the path up ahead, don't assume they're harmless, like I did. Sad to say, but assume the worst. In areas with no cameras/police, there will be people willing to take advantage.

thanks for reading,

Johnny

bauldbairn

Sorry to hear about your theft, that's absolutely shocking - I pressume you weren't too badly hurt, thankfully. :ohmy:

Hope you've reported this to the Police.

Good advice about cyclepaths especially at dusk/night-time.

Oh! Welcome to the forum Johnny.

OP
OP
H

harrytuttle

Thanks for the kind words bauld,

Yes, first thing I did was report it to the rozzers. They were fairly quick in coming round and getting details, probably because there was an assault involved. They were unsurprised through - said it was a local gang from the area who do it on a fairly regular basis. Doubt I'll see it again but might go down Brick Lane this Sunday.

I got a kick to the face, but to be honest I've had worse injuries falling off before.

Rather uncharitably, I'm pleased the brake pads were almost worn out. One careless motorist, one less bike thief.

bauldbairn

harrytuttle said:
Rather uncharitably, I'm pleased the brake pads were almost worn out. One careless motorist, one less bike thief.

+1, On that!

There's been a few threads on here about "Brick Lane," possibley an idea to take a few mates down - just in case.

Good luck.

xman

I heard it is quieter down there these days with stolen bikes??.. If you do go please keep an eye out for my Cannonadale and Planet X TT bike posted a few posts down on this forum. Cheers
Xman.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Welcome to the forum Johnny, sorry it's in such sad circumstances- hope you are alright otherwise.

Unfortunately the hackney cycleway you mention is notorious for that kind of thing - it's fine in daylight with people using it but at night or at quieter times, it's dodgy and I'm sorry you've had to find out this way, look out for your bike on Gumtree and Ebay as well. Take care and stay safe

OP
OP
H

harrytuttle

Uncle Phil said:
!

So why haven't they caught them?!!

Hello Phil,

Probably a question of resources - there's no CCTV there and I suspect there aren't enough coppers to patrol every deserted part of London.

In fairness to the police, they have been very quick to follow it up - I had a visit from them yesterday and a phone call from them today to tell me what was happening. Whether anything happens after that is another matter.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
It was really a rhetorical question - but thanks for answering it!

It's just I get fed up of hearing that the Police know all about offences being committed regularly but can't or won't do anything about it. Funny, I kind of thought that's what they were for...? If not, what are they for?

Darkmarkster

Über Member
harrytuttle said:
Hello Cyclechat

This is my first post, apologies if it breaks etiquette...

Just posted this on another forum, but I think it's well worth posting here too.

I thought this was worth bringing to your attention, not so much because of the bike but more the way it was stolen.

Bike details first (from what i can remember) - Dawes discovery 501/601 (not sure which), about ten years old, blue coloured frame, 'cowhorn' handlebars, front shocks (not sure of the make), cycle saddle with some kind of suspension built in, black Abus d-lock attached to frame, front wheel slightly buckled, brake pads severely worn down - might have been a sticker on the frame from 'byways bicycles' but I'm not certain.

The bike isn't in tip-top condition although I've been slowly doing it up. It was stolen from me by three teenagers/ men in their early 20s while I was cycling along the towpath on the edge of Hackney marshes at about 18.30 this evening. They kicked me off the bike before cycling off on it.

I just wanted to warn the rest of you - be alert! I'd been pretty complacent, having cycled that route since October with no problems. Don't cycle down deserted cycle paths, especially at night. If you see people waiting on the path up ahead, don't assume they're harmless, like I did. Sad to say, but assume the worst. In areas with no cameras/police, there will be people willing to take advantage.

thanks for reading,

Johnny

Hello mate really sorry to hear what happened and i hope your resting up ok,Your post has actually worried me a bit as my commute takes me through the Hackney Marshes,I think we might even take the same route? Do you mean the towpath that runs along the edge of the river Lea? or is it the regents canal that circles the massive football playing field near EastWay leisure centre? As i head home that way daily after work and cut across a little bridge that brings me to either Lea Bridge road or the golf course.

Top Bottom