1st crash. Advice please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redste

Had my 1st crash today. On the way to work at the junction of Hyde Rd and Pottery Lane in Gorton Manchester. I was going straight across Pottery lane and some woman was coming the oposite direction and turning right. It ws one of them slow motion moments, I just watched her come towards me but there was no way I could do anything. She didn't even seem to brake, luckily she wasn't going to fast so I've only got a few scrapes and bruises, but the bike doesn't look healthy!

Worst thing was she didn't even stop!!! She stopped in the middle of the road initially then carried on round the corner and looked like she was pulling over, so i just sat there for a minute getting myself together. Some nice guy in going the opposite direction pulled over to make sure I was ok and then said she'd drove off! He turned round and chased her down Hyde Road got her reg and spoke to her but she denied hitting anyone!!! I've phoned the police and they are following it up.

Can I claim off her insurance? How do I know if my bike is a right off? It definitely needs a new front wheel and lots of bits straightening up.

Mile195

Veteran
Sorry to hear that. Sounds terrible.
Yes you can claim off her insurance. First thing to do - get your report into the police - don't hang about. do it today.

A bike shop will be able to give you a quote for repairs, but the insurance company will ultimately decide whether the bike is a write off or not. I would recommend you get a solicitor to deal with this. She didn't stop at the scene of the accident - there's no point trying to sort anything out privately with her. The police should take alot of interest - she's commited a criminal offence by driving away.

Let us know how it goes...

BSRU

A Human Being
If you are a member of a cycling organisation then you should access to lawyers with experience in such accidents.
I think you can join the CTC after a collision and use their lawyers.

OP
OP
redste

redste

Thanks for the replies already.
The police were informed straight away and were very helpful. I'm just so grateful to the guy who went after her. Think I'll owe him a pint ^_^.

I'm pretty sure I did join CTC when I 1st got my bike, gonna hae see if I can find anything.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
You need to have a word with @classic33 who'll be along shortly with sage advice. Pay close attention!

Glad to hear a passer-by was prepared to help you out. Here's hoping you get fully reimbursed for your losses.

GC

OP
OP
redste

redste

If you are a member of a cycling organisation then you should access to lawyers with experience in such accidents.
I think you can join the CTC after a collision and use their lawyers.
Is tis true that I can join CTC after the event? Thouht I'd joined a while ago but can't log on te website.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Is tis true that I can join CTC after the event? Thouht I'd joined a while ago but can't log on te website.

Yes.

OP
OP
redste

redste

Just been in touch with CTC, they had no details of me so I musn't have ever registered. However they were very helpful and tookdown all the details of the incident and have passed it on to a solicitor.

Top Bottom