20 stupid cycle lanes - planners take note

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfraser

Über Member
It goes to show that local authorities don't really care about cycling and only pay lip service to cyclists. I fail to see how any intelligent person could come up with those. :wacko:

I hate to be a pedantic pain in the behind *

But the second last one ..... actually ..... ummm ....... it sort of works pretty well? It's pretty much just down the road from me.

If you're confident and competent, you hold the lane, signal, and go straight for the cycle lane ahead on the flyover on York Road. First bus drivers have a special line in protecting cyclists' behinds, and giving them space to do it without any worries.

If you're not so confident/competent, that funny little lane gives you an easy option - swing off to the left, cross the slip as a pedestrian, and reach the cycle lane ahead that way.

Leeds has a LOT worse than that to offer :sad:

* For all who know me, that is tongue-in-cheek. I LOVE being a pile of pedantic piles!

Mummy3monkeys

This had me in hysterics (I am easily amused) However, on the serious side, these are truly awful, a disgrace in fact, and people wonder why cyclists don't use cycle lanes!! There must be many more out there as well!

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
It's for turning right isn't it?
cycle-lane-nowhere.jpg

Dave the Smeghead

Über Member
The last one made me laugh.
Love the way it was fenced in. Knowing councils that would have gone through several departments and been signed off at each stage. Then probably trumpeted in the press for "providing safer facilities for cyclists".
Your council tax in action.

Mike_P

Guru
The last one made me laugh.
Love the way it was fenced in. Knowing councils that would have gone through several departments and been signed off at each stage. Then probably trumpeted in the press for "providing safer facilities for cyclists".
Your council tax in action.
Doubt that, most Councils are down to minimum staff with further cuts promised. Cycle routes are normally the responsibility of the Highway section rather than the planning section and in places where district council and county councils exist it is the county council that normally holds the upper hand in the matter

Last edited:
Top Bottom