2016 England v Sri Lanka – Spoilers compulsory

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
I haven't watched it yet (I thought it would be raining) but Anderson looked fully on top of his bowling yesterday.

It is now!

OP
OP
psmiffy
Its Sunday and no Test Cricket today - England have rolled over the Sri Lankans in what was effectively two days of play – I have to feel a little sorry for the Sri Lankans – An overcast Headingly with Anderson swinging the ball all over the place – Their batting apart from Mendis was not up to it

Englands batting though - apart from Bairstow and an intelligent innings from Hales – resisted the temptation to “express himself” until it ended with a brainless swipe – was not good

Durham next week and it probably be more of the same.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I'm still not convinced that Hales and Compton are the real thing. In Compton's case I'm fairly sure he aint. I hope Hales makes the grade though.

OP
OP
psmiffy
Ditto - If Cook continues to fail in the nervous 9980s - you cannot continue to expect the "long tail" to pull the thing out of the fire if Root has a bad day - esp as the designated all rounder seems to have gone part time

Bring in Buttler for Compton, although you may need to reshuffle the batting order. Or have Root at four and bring back Ballance (assuming he's scoring runs in county cricket). Maybe there's another no. 3 somewhere waiting for a chance: Bell, possibly.

I'm not convinced that Hales is Test quality (yet) but he's worth persevering with in both of the home Test series this summer.

The 2nd Test started today: another northern venue - Durham.

England win the toss and elect to bat. Batsmen get settled then get themselves out, Hales (83), Root (80) and Vince (35) the guilty parties here. More telling, though, is that Compton failed again. He's running out of chances, I suspect.

Bairstow and Ali taking England comfortably towards 300 on the first day as stumps is approaching.

Oh, and Bairstow falls for 48 with 3+ overs to go.

James Anderson is the resident nightwatchman, wonder if he'll come in now.

Well, this series doesn't seem to have caught the imagination at all. 2-0 to England with a dead rubber to play.

A one -sided affair with Sri Lanka, at times, looking like the team they were in the 90s.

England can only do what is expected of them and most players have performed well. Compton is the only one with an unsure Test future, although I suspect he'll be given another chance for the third Test at Lords.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Compton is scratching around for form at the moment but, as always, there is no point dropping him unless the replacement is demonstrably better. Not seeing anyone significantly better either opening or at 3

Whilst there are plenty of good reasons for poor attendance (not great opposition, test already played close by the previous week, early season cold weather etc etc) it was disappointing to see so many empty seats. I do worry that the interest in test cricket in England may eventually go the way it has pretty well everywhere else, Australia excepted

OP
OP
psmiffy
England rolled over the Sri Lankans as expected - comprehensive victories in the test and ODI series and the T20 match yesterday without really hitting top gear - we will see if the Pakistan team are made of sterner stuff

AndyRM

XOXO
England rolled over the Sri Lankans as expected - comprehensive victories in the test and ODI series and the T20 match yesterday without really hitting top gear - we will see if the Pakistan team are made of sterner stuff

I hope they are. I'd actually forgotten there was a T20 yesterday as the lack of competitive play has bored me.

Top Bottom