205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Discussion thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I'm not thinking whether it's possible, more 'why?'
Snow/ ice, wind and illness and just the dread of having to do it in February once the mindless drudgery sets in! [ Being so cheerful keeps me going! :biggrin: ]

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I'm not thinking whether it's possible, more 'why?'
Snow/ ice, wind and illness and just the dread of having to do it in February once the mindless drudgery sets in! [ Being so cheerful keeps me going! :biggrin: ]

I know of the cyclist in question through Audaxing. He's a bit obsessive to put it mildly. In 2007 he scored 405 points on the the audax points table which meant that he'd ridden at least 40,000 km in audax governed events - he's nearest competitor cycled 19,000 km. The closest anyone in the audax world has got to him since then is 33,000 km

Last edited:

RedRider

Pulling through
It's an incredible challenge. Doable maybe, but not without luck, guts and support.There's a good website about the current record/record holder...
thumbs_tommy-godwin-october.jpg

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I can't find anything regarding his bike choice? I must be missing it, it has to be there surely? If not, he's missing a trick.

I know he has to be business like and efficient, but he could do with softening his style a bit on the Hosts page http://oneyeartimetrial.org.uk/volunteer/21-hosts

Best of luck!

Bloody hell. If I was ever thinking of offering to host, having read that rubbish there's no way I would. Whoever wrote that comes across as a total berk

dodgy

Steve wrote it himself. And far from being a berk he is being very honest about what is expected of both his hosts and himself. It's a very serious undertaking for both.

No doubt, but that page only has to be written once, but it will be read thousands. I think it's worth the effort getting it right.

He's put me off anyway.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Steve wrote it himself. And far from being a berk he is being very honest about what is expected of both his hosts and himself. It's a very serious undertaking for both.

Seems that nobody has had a word in his ear that it comes across as very brusque. I suspect it will put off a lot of people who might otherwise have volunteered

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
It doesn't read very well though, does it. I'm sure it is a big responsibility, and he needs to be sure that the people helping wont let him down, but with a few tweaks it could be far more welcoming, and make you want to be part of his record attempt.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It doesn't read very well though, does it. I'm sure it is a big responsibility, and he needs to be sure that the people helping wont let him down, but with a few tweaks it could be far more welcoming, and make you want to be part of his record attempt.

You just have to read the YACF thread to see that he already has a ton of volunteers.

dodgy

My advice to blokes who plan to welcome him, if your Mrs isn't in to cycling and hasn't had her imagination captivated; DO NOT SHOW HER THE HOSTS PAGE
;)

Top Bottom