205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Discussion thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Good luck to him, hope he does it

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Bloody hell. If I was ever thinking of offering to host, having read that rubbish there's no way I would. Whoever wrote that comes across as a total berk

Well done to anyone who could be bothered to plough through it.

Too close typed, far too long, and as has been said, the content is dreadful.

He may score highly as cyclist, but he's useless as a communicator.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
If anyone I know of can do this, it's Steve. I'll be donating at some point for sure.

And as for that host page on his being a bit unfriendly, I see it more as exceedingly honest and matter-of-fact. If you're the kind of person who reads that and thinks 'no thanks', you weren't right for the job in the first place, no reflection on yourself or him. Like the solo riders on RAAM, he's going to need patience, understanding and firm TLC, and it's not going to be an easy job for anyone. He's stated exactly what will be required of hosts, and quite right too.

Last edited:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
The first time I met Steve was at a YACF hostelling weekend in Kildale in the North Yorkshire Moors. He rode up on the Saturday from Milton Keynes to meet everyone and join in for a few hours. Slept for a couple bit and then set off back home to MK in the early hours of Sunday morning. At the time it was -10 degC overnight - cold enough to kill the primer fuel pump in my car outside.

He's a very hard rider, and if there's one person who could make this work then I would say he is him. However he is not a media person and I'd bet that as the team fall in line over the next few weeks a lot of the rough edges will be knocked off that site.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Well done to anyone who could be bothered to plough through it.

Too close typed, far too long, and as has been said, the content is dreadful.

He may score highly as cyclist, but he's useless as a communicator.

Fair play to him, the "volunteers" bit has been rewritten and is now much better. I wish him every success in this insane challenge. Doubt he'd want to come to Glossop though, keeping it flat has got to be the way I would think

frank9755

Cyclist
I guess reading posts like these ones makes me realise why we have a second rate PR man who doesn't seem to stand for anything as prime minister!

Steve is a guy who works in a warehouse and has no pretentions to literary prowess. He is a hero in the UK long-distance cycling community, both because of what he has achieved and the unassuming and understated way in which he has gone about it. He never has a bad word to say about anyone and he has helped countless riders to achieve things they would never have done without his advice, encouragement and support, via things like the group 600km ride he organises each year for people stretching themselves by stepping up to that distance.

To keep going on about about perceived flaws in the first draft of his website just feels like nit-picking in the extreme, and to do it when the nits are no longer there, seems to miss the point by a light year and be uncharitable to the point of being a bit weird.

Last edited:
Top Bottom