England : Rutland 22nd or 23rd Nov (AKA TF birthday ride)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well, the Met Office are still scratching their heads over the forecast for Sunday, looks to be 50-50, which fits in with my weather model prediction :smile:. If by lunchtime Sat it is predicting serious rain then I will call it off, unfair on those like Tony and Sal who are travelling considerable distances. Should this be the case, who would be up for the following Sunday?
We will still go for a ride this Sunday whatever the weather, at least it is forecasting relatively warm weather for this time of year.

robjh

Legendary Member
I'd be up for postponing it for a week if the weather is like the current Met Office forecast - the following Sunday would be OK for me.
Oakham weather.JPG

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I regret I cannot make it the following weekend as off with Mrs 4F to the Bury St Edmunds Christmas fayre :santa: and every weekend in December now booked up. I am happy to wait until Sat lunchtime and go from there and go for whatever the majority decide.

D

Deleted member 1258

The following week might be better for me as well, I'm having back problems at the moment, I'm OK on the bike but finding it difficult to drive.

OP
OP
dr_pink

dr_pink

Right folks, a latest look at the forecast indicates rain will be clearing to the east, and our planned route heads northwest of Oakham for first part, so I suggest we go ahead but with a slightly later start of 10am.

If you want to come to ours first PM me and I'll send you our address.

D

Deleted member 1258

I shall have to pass on this one, my back is too bad, wish Steve a happy birthday from me and have a great ride. I've already had to cancel our trip to Blenheim palace today, looks like I wont be doing much this weekend.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Hmm well the weather forecast I have looked at does not look as good so I think I am going to pass on tomorrow

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
The 7 or 8 forecast sites I've looked at are nearly unanimously pessimistic, so regretfully I'm going to wimp out as well.
Have a great birthday anyway, Steve; I might still drop by unannounced with some experimental shortbread at some random time between now and Christmas!
(There's still a few jars of fig chutney vintage October 2013 which are maturing nicely, so I could dump bestow one of those too).

The only other woman down to come is Kiwi Sal and she is riding. It's making the male of the species look a bit wimpy [not entirely my words :whistle:]. Thanks @Poacher we have something for you too.
On the bright side I have the company of two women and a LOT of cake to get through :smile:. Thanks all for the birthday wishes.
Should anyone want to ride next week, we can do that too so I will keep this thread open just in case there is any further interest.

OP
OP
dr_pink

dr_pink

I shall have to pass on this one, my back is too bad, wish Steve a happy birthday from me and have a great ride. I've already had to cancel our trip to Blenheim palace today, looks like I wont be doing much this weekend.
Oh dear, sorry to hear that, hope you feel better soon..

Hmm well the weather forecast I have looked at does not look as good so I think I am going to pass on tomorrow
That's a shame - hope to see you again soon..

The 7 or 8 forecast sites I've looked at are nearly unanimously pessimistic, so regretfully I'm going to wimp out as well.
Have a great birthday anyway, Steve; I might still drop by unannounced with some experimental shortbread at some random time between now and Christmas!
(There's still a few jars of fig chutney vintage October 2013 which are maturing nicely, so I could dump bestow one of those too).
OK - we can do you a swap for some beetroot chutney.. hope to see you again soon...

Hope you get a good ride tomorrow, those who make it, and that the weather smiles on you. Happy birthday to TF and enjoy all the cake.
Oh no, you as well :cry:hope to see you again soon...

Um.. shall we bother going to the station to see if anyone turns up? @kiwi-Sal 's coming but she's already here. We've already started on the cake, fudge, brownies (not mentioning the mulled wine, prosecco, red wine...) Not sure we'll even notice the rain.. & you lot are missing out on the chance to seriously drop me on a hill :whistle:

D

Deleted member 1258

The main problem is driving, its painful to put the clutch down, I could probably cope with a gentle ride, but rest is needed so not doing the ride is probably best, I don't know what its like in Oakham but its piddling down in Coventry this morning.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Sorry to hear about your pain, Dave; hope a day or so of rest is enough to relieve it.
It's still raining gently but steadily here in Nottingham, but I'm trudging around with head held low in shame. Still, I can console myself somewhat with the thought that the remaining riders will be able to manage an average speed about 50% higher without me, and won't have their ears assaulted by my squealing brakes!

Top Bottom