27x7/8 tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DTD

Veteran
Following a discussion on another forum I'm looking for a pair of tyres for an old Brian Rourke road bike – they are of a size that hasn't been made in years, but they occasionally come up on eBay or when a bike shop's closed or when someone has had a clear out.

The size is 27x 7/8th " – not the much more common 27x 1 1/2 or even 27x 1" – in other words they have very little depth to them and will fit the frame. A 27x1 1/4 barely fits without rubbing and the brakes won't line up.

I have seen 27x1" Panaracer's – but I'm not sure if these would fit, so don't want to buy a pair on spec… If anyone's got an old knackered one I could borrow?

At the moment the only solution has been to fit a 700c wheel on the back and a 27" on the front, which works and doesn't look too bad, but isn't ideal.

Thanks for any links or suggestions.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
700c on the front as well, keep the 27" wheels for originality/resale value (with original bike if sold at a later date).

albion

Guru
Extremely unlikely that the frame was not for 1" tyres.
Considering declared widths very often no not match actual widths you might even find some 1 1/4 fit.

So how do you know the original was 7/8?. Maybe only the 1 manufacturer ever made them

OP
OP
DTD

DTD

Veteran
The original tyres (Michelins) and wheels (Weinman) were on it – both unusable.
I bought a cheap set of new 27" wheels (Weinman) and a pair of gum wall tyres (Scwalbe 27 1 1/4") so might as well keep them.
700c on the front will need new brakes – the bike shop reckoned they'd need to be almost BMX stylee to fit.
God I hate bikes. (Sometimes).

I will try and find a 27x1" to see if it fits, as albion says

Top Bottom