Scotland : Glasgow & Clyde Valley 3 ferries. April 27th 2014.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Meet at Wemyss Bay ferry terminal/train station for a repeat of last years 3 ferries route.

Start time will be 10:00, which allows those coming from the land of Weegies to catch the 0850 train from Glasgow Central to Wemyss Bay, arriving at 0936. East coasters might have to get up a bit earlier!
For those coming by car, there is ample parking in the station (£3 for the day).
The total ferry fares for the trip is in the region of £11.

Food stops are scarce, so would suggest you bring enough food and drink to last you until we get to Rothesay.

Last years more detailed thread.

The route once on Bute is subject to change in line with weather (this time the sun WILL shine!) and time constraints. There are several options for extending the ride on the Island. Ferries from Rothesay are approximately hourly, with the last one on a Sunday departing Rothesay at 7pm. (40 minutes sailing time). Trains generally link in with ferry times.

As per CC rideouts standing orders: Any bike will do; no-one gets left behind (it aint going to be fast with me at the front in any case!); and of course .....

dscn3147.jpg

So ........ Who is up for it??

Brandane
MikeW-71
Pat"5mph"
Fubar
GBC +1.
Clockhammer
Somebuddy.
Stephen Harris.
GRC Members x 3.
Bigbaldycraig
SCook94
Phantasmagoriana
Telemark
Rasmus
Harry Palmer

Possibly......

Ellebells

+ anyone else who wants to join us.

Last edited:

MikeW-71

Veteran
Interested! :biggrin:

Gotta climb that 20% jobbie again don't we..... :surrender:

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Great, I was very sorry to miss this one last time - seem to remember it was during the week? Love Mike's video ...

@Brandane - continuing the chat from the Arran thread for a moment, if I may ... this or something similar is what I thought you might suggest ... What I was thinking of was just taking the ferry from Wemyss Bay and cycling a few of the lovely road loops on Bute ... head south along the east coast, via the big house and its park (great when the daffodils are out), down to St. Blane's and the amazing view across to Arran, and back up the west coast to Rothesay, with an opportunity to climb the Serpentine, and possibly another loop/out and back to the NW end of the road if we feel like it ... but that's for another thread at some point ;).

T

Great, I was very sorry to miss this one last time - seem to remember it was during the week? Love Mike's video ...

@Brandane - continuing the chat from the Arran thread for a moment, if I may ... this or something similar is what I thought you might suggest ... What I was thinking of was just taking the ferry from Wemyss Bay and cycling a few of the lovely road loops on Bute ... head south along the east coast, via the big house and its park (great when the daffodils are out), down to St. Blane's and the amazing view across to Arran, and back up the west coast to Rothesay, with an opportunity to climb the Serpentine, and possibly another loop/out and back to the NW end of the road if we feel like it ... but that's for another thread at some point ;).

T
That's along lines what i was thinking given length of days still but i was thinking more March....hadn't considered April! :laugh:;)

Fubar

Guru
@Brandane do you have a strava/ridewithgps/garmin/other route? I would be in the "interested" camp at the moment, purely due to previously mentioned transport arrangements - though getting trains etc would be a good rehearsal for Islay in August! Cheers, Mark

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Public transport related question from an Eastie regarding Sunday travel ... what was your experience of the time required for the previous ride, and when would you want to start to make sure nobody gets stuck on an island if you/we miss the last ferry?

Earliest train from Edinburgh for Wemyss Bay leaves at 8:30, arrives 10:39 (24 min to get between GQS & GC should be plenty) - is this too late?
I suppose there is the option of joining in from Gourock, leaving Edinburgh 8:30, earliest arrival time 10:11 (21 minutes to connect in Glasgow OK).

T

Rasmus

Without a clever title
Get a return ticket to Wemyss Bay, but get off at Branchton on the way out. Short drop downhill from there to the ferry landing.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Public transport related question from an Eastie regarding Sunday travel ... what was your experience of the time required for the previous ride, and when would you want to start to make sure nobody gets stuck on an island if you/we miss the last ferry?

Earliest train from Edinburgh for Wemyss Bay leaves at 8:30, arrives 10:39 (24 min to get between GQS & GC should be plenty) - is this too late?
I suppose there is the option of joining in from Gourock, leaving Edinburgh 8:30, earliest arrival time 10:11 (21 minutes to connect in Glasgow OK).

T
Last year we left Wemyss Bay about 11:00 which would tie in nicely with the train arrival.
Gourock (Western Ferries at McInroys point) about midday for the ferry to Dunoon.
IIRC we were in Rothesay in plenty of time for the 4pm ferry back to Wemyss Bay. Weather permitting though, it would be better if we could extend the ride on Bute this time to incorporate part or all of the west side of the island, which would add another hour or so onto the ride. Last ferry leaves Rothesay at 7pm on Sundays.

Fubar

Guru

T

Might join you on the train T, never taken a bike on a train before and it might come into my thinking for Islay so a good rehearsal - the only issue (apart from the car) is Maddie will be finished in Canada by then so might (if she has run out of cash) be returning round about then. How late can you book your bike onto a train?

Top Bottom