Scotland : Glasgow & Clyde Valley 3 ferries. April 27th 2014.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Gourock it is, then! I like the idea of spending more time on Bute :smile:
As I mentioned earlier, the first train into Wemyss Bay from Edinburgh arrives at 10:39 on a Sunday ... so way too late for a 10:00 start, and I am definitely not fast enough to catch you up on the way :laugh:.

T

Fubar

Guru
Gourock it is, then! I like the idea of spending more time on Bute :smile:
As I mentioned earlier, the first train into Wemyss Bay from Edinburgh arrives at 10:39 on a Sunday ... so way too late for a 10:00 start, and I am definitely not fast enough to catch you up on the way :laugh:.

T

Sooo, is the intention to get a train from Edinburgh to Gourock arriving 10:11am?? I assume there is a wee ride from Gourock to Wemyss Bay???

Fubar

Guru
:rolleyes: you need a secretary, @Fubar! All on the 1st page ... no need to look very far, but pasted again, just for you ;)

I think it'll be easiest to meet the gang at Gourock, but then @Brandane mentioned in post #10 that the departure time from WB was around 11 am last year ... despite saying 'leaving at 10' in the OP ...
So I am slightly unsure where/when to aim for :scratch:

T

Sorry I might be being really thick here (wouldn't be the first time) but looking at the timetables it looks like the 08:30 from Edin Waverley gets into Glasgow QS at 09:26, the next train to Gourock is then 10:20 Glasgow Central arriving Gourock at 11:11 not 10:11, so waaaay past the ride start time - or am I doing something wrong?!?

Rasmus

Without a clever title
Sorry I might be being really thick here (wouldn't be the first time) but looking at the timetables it looks like the 08:30 from Edin Waverley gets into Glasgow QS at 09:26, the next train to Gourock is then 10:20 Glasgow Central arriving Gourock at 11:11 not 10:11, so waaaay past the ride start time - or am I doing something wrong?!?

Scotrail's journey planner is a little conservative with the Queen St-Central transfer times. There is an 8 am service from Edinburgh that comes into Queen St 0858, which should still be good enough to catch the 0920 from Central to Gourock.

Mind that it's still a few miles from Gourock to the ferry at McInroy's point. I think you're better off with the Wemyss Bay service and getting off at Branchton at 1026. It's downhill to get to the ferry, you get to sleep half an hour more, and save a few ££'s too.

Also, I remain in the maybe category for coming along to the ride.

Fubar

Guru
Scotrail's journey planner is a little conservative with the Queen St-Central transfer times. There is an 8 am service from Edinburgh that comes into Queen St 0858, which should still be good enough to catch the 0920 from Central to Gourock.

Mind that it's still a few miles from Gourock to the ferry at McInroy's point. I think you're better off with the Wemyss Bay service and getting off at Branchton at 1026. It's downhill to get to the ferry, you get to sleep half an hour more, and save a few ££'s too.

Also, I remain in the maybe category for coming along to the ride.

Thanks, not sure why the 08:00 service didn't come up when I did the original search - maybe I am just being thick...

So assuming we can sort out the trains and @Brandane is comfortable with our arrival times you can add me to the list!

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Thanks, not sure why the 08:00 service didn't come up when I did the original search - maybe I am just being thick...

So assuming we can sort out the trains and @Brandane is comfortable with our arrival times you can add me to the list!
Not a problem, just let me know if anyone decides to meet us at Gourock rather than Wemyss Bay. And remember it will be the Western Ferries terminal at McInroys point; not the Argyll ferries which leaves from the old CalMac pier adjacent to the train station. McInroys point is about 3 miles west of Gourock on the main road. Keep the river on your right and you can't miss it!

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Yes, REALLY thick, @Fubar :laugh:. Your devoted secretary prepares a briefing for you, and you don't even read it properly :rolleyes: - OK, it was slightly hidden between my post and Rasmus's post that I quoted. @Rasmus has very kindly spelled it out again! :thumbsup:

I'll catch the 8:30 to GQS, connect at GC (>20 min to get from GQS to GC) and hop off the WB train a few stops early at Branchton. Quick whizz down the hill and meet you at the Western Ferries terminal at McInroys point. :hello:

T

Last edited:

Fubar

Guru
Yes, REALLY thick, @Fubar :laugh:. Your devoted secretary prepares a briefing for you, and you don't even read it properly :rolleyes: - OK, it was slightly hidden between my post and Rasmus's post that I quoted. @Rasmus has very kindly spelled it out again! :thumbsup:

I'll catch the 8:30 to GQS, connect at GC (>20 min to get from GQS to GC) and hop off the WB train a few stops early at Branchton. Quick whizz down the hill and meet you at the Western Ferries terminal at McInroys point. :hello:

T

I'm a man, we have to think about serious stuff like cars - not just cakes 'n shoot...

I'll join you on the 08:30 if that's ok, will pedal through to Waverley, meet you under the clock?

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Don't people always meet under a clock, ala Gregory's Girl?!?
:laugh:
I'm just not sure whereabouts this mythical clock is at Waverley - there are plenty of departure boards with electronic clocks on them ...
How about outside the WH Smith on the main concourse?

T

Top Bottom