35mm slide film processing...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I bought some Fuji Provia 100F, and plan to take my Nikon FE2 to Cornwall next month, along with my Lumix. I thought Fuji had a central processing facility and could scan slides at time of developing for a reasonable price. Their website has been 'redirecting'... for months http://www.fujilab.co.uk. Anyone know about this?

I phoned one lab up and they quoted £5 for E6 processing 36 exp - so far so good, but £3/slide under 4Mb, and £6/slide up to 40Mb...

Andy

OP
OP
andyoxon

andyoxon

Guru
Discovered that a lab in Cornwall (Crowlas), will do a roll for £4.50 (this price if dropping off film by hand) and scan the whole film to 6Mb Jpegs or Tiff for £6.50 - same day turnaround; can't say fairer than that really...

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
It's probably worth your while looking around for a second hand slide scanner and doing your own. I won't give up slide fillm yet because it represents the best way to retain maximum information.

OP
OP
andyoxon

andyoxon

Guru
Andy in Sig said:
It's probably worth your while looking around for a second hand slide scanner and doing your own. I won't give up slide fillm yet because it represents the best way to retain maximum information.

Thanks Andy - good point, particularly as it seems slide film is still relatively cheap to process..

Any suggestions as to a minimum spec for a slide scanner, or specific models..?

Bokonon

Über Member
Unless you need stupidly high quality scans, a modern flat bed scanner with a slide adapter gives very good results. It will likely also be cheaper, easier to source and more useful as it can also scan documents etc.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
The Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 II was considered to be about the best quality / price combination when they were made. Unfortunately no one took over manufacture of them when Monolta quit the imaging market. They do appear on Ebay from time to time in mint condition as most of them have only been used to archive old slide collections and then are no longer needed.

Nikon still make reasonable ones for similar money (£500). More versatile but less good (only a little) is the Epson Perfection v750 and it's slightly cheaper and (again, slightly) less good sibling the v700.

All these machines will extract the maximum from your slides with good dust reduction. Better than this will be the domain or your local graphics bureau. There are then a variety of cheaper flat bed and dedicated film scanners that will do a less good job for way less money. You pays your money.....

Finally slide scanning is slow and getting good results requires quite a lot of fiddling. I don't use Fuji, but controlling contrast with Kodachrome is a nightmare. If your lab offers you scan to cd for a few quid when processing your film, then it takes a lot of beating. Alternatively if you want digital images from the pictures you are taking today, then buy a digital camera which will capture better images at every price point than the film / scanner route. (The exception is where you have a huge inventory of non legacy lens that are critical to your work or a back catalogue that is worth preserving on mass. Having 100 or so slides copied will be cheaper via a bureau.)

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Tim's advice about Minolta and Nikon is good. I'd avoid flat beds unless you're scanning large format. I would also suggest that it does not matter that scanning can be a bit slow as you will probably tend to only want to scan your better pictures in any event. Some of the more modern software which gets delivered with scanners includes a facility for automatically "removing" dust etc (I think it's calle ICE).

Mr Celine

Discordian
An alternative to a flatbed scanner is to project your slides on screen and photo them using a digital compact mounted on a tripod.

ajevans

If you're not looking to spend too much money I can recommend the Epson V500 flatbed. I process my own 35mm and 120 and i've always been happy with the results. It's capable of 4800dpi but I find 3200dpi plenty.

Top Bottom