6061 or 7005 --- would I notice the difference ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
Most winters, I take on a scratch build. This year I am fortunate to have two frames to choose from. The build is intended for personal use at a level aimed purely for pleasure. I could go towards a multi purpose hybrid, or an out and out off roader. The frames I have to choose from are both aluminium, are in pretty similar condition, and are both already mine. One is for 29" or 700c wheels, & the other for 26" wheels. The 26er is made of 6061 grade ally, but the other is made of 7005 grade. Oddly the 6061 is over 1/2 a kilo lighter . My question is, will I, as a leisure cyclist, notice the difference in the ride quality by going for the higher grade ally frame, or am I likely to benefit more from the lighter frame choice. ? ? ? answers on a postcard...... no, seriously, any have an opinion ? ?

Drago

Legendary Member
No.

And 7005 isn't a higher grade of material, just a different one with different characteristics. By the time you've chucked the dozens of potential heat treatment or ageing options for each material into the mix the permutations are huge.

In any case, tube design and construction will have a far bigger influence on the ride than any notional differences in alloys, and that's probably why the 6061 frame is lighter(if indeed it really is).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Psycolist

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
I cant bring myself to trust the carbon steerer and shoulders on my Rock Shox forks, so I'm beggerd if I am going to trust a carbon frame, ( even if I could afford one ) and, in my experience, if you don't have trust in your bike, you wont enjoy riding it. I certainly never felt that I could push the limits on those forks. I was constantly worried that they were going to let me down. I know its stupid, I know they use it in cutting edge motor sport, I know its stronger than aluminium, but no matter how much I try and convince myself, that little seed of doubt creeps up on me so that I don't/cant trust them. ( and I don't like disc brakes either ) I am beginning to think I should change my tag to Psyclosaurus
:crazy: I couldn't find a dinosaur smiley :giggle:

Top Bottom