7mm Alan key - 32mm spanner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
[QUOTE 4097189, member: 9609"]here we go - I don't think I will get any awards for my tool making skills, but it works perfectly, and it was free and will of only taken a few minutes.. As you can see from my headset the lower nut is very thin, so it needs a special tool, my big spanners are just too fat. This bit of plate is only 6mm thick, just shows how thin the spanner needs to be.
tool_9468_zpsnowczyo6.jpg

tool_9467_zpsoytqhdws.jpg [/QUOTE]

Very good and well done, but not pocket friendly

midlife

Guru
If you have the proper locking washer you can get away with just a "normal" spanner :smile:

Shaun

[QUOTE 4097189, member: 9609"]here we go - I don't think I will get any awards for my tool making skills, but it works perfectly, and it was free and will of only taken a few minutes.. As you can see from my headset the lower nut is very thin, so it needs a special tool, my big spanners are just too fat. This bit of plate is only 6mm thick, just shows how thin the spanner needs to be.

tool_9467_zpsoytqhdws.jpg [/QUOTE]

Whilst I admire your McGyverness, I must admit that hurt my eyes so bad I feels like I'm peeling onions. That thing is not coming near my Campag Record headset.

midlife

Guru
A 7mm allen key is a rare beast indeed and as you've discovered, not included in any set. Let me guess, you want to fit new front brake pads to your Volkswagen?

Aren't self extracting allen bolts for Campag Record cranks 7mm, way after my time but rings a bell, BITD some seat binder allen key bolts were 7mm which were a bit off the wall for size :smile:

Shaun

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Aren't self extracting allen bolts for Campag Record cranks 7mm, way after my time but rings a bell, BITD some seat binder allen key bolts were 7mm which were a bit off the wall for size :smile:

Shaun

Ooh, you're quite right - my Facom set doesn't have a 7mm - though I'm sure I've got one in my socket driver set thogh

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
A 7mm allen key is a rare beast indeed and as you've discovered, not included in any set. Let me guess, you want to fit new front brake pads to your Volkswagen?

I wish it was non bike related! Bolt for 70s Mavic stem. Fortunately the two Allen keys trick worked and I'll be replacing it with something a bit more maintenance friendly :smile:

any particular reason ?
Scratches, rounded aluminium nuts and sheer ugliness.

But, like I said, I admire it. He's clearly a make-a-plan guy.

gbb

Legendary Member
Never tried, but I'm sure I read that you could use two Allen keys to make up the larger size. So a 3mm with a 4mm.
Let us know if it works.

LEGEND! THats worked a treat!

I imagine I can more easily pick up a spanner locally. If you're ever in Liverpool let me grab you a pint!
Just goes to show...I read Sharkys post and thought...that'll never work, even though you have the 7mm across, you'll have very little contact area in the hexagon of the screw.
Note to self.....dont dismiss things until tried.

Top Bottom