7th Bike ride - 20mile target smashed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RobWard

So I awoke to sunshine on the first day of the month. Decided to get the bike out and carry on my quest to loose weight as at present I am 14 stone and 5ft 9' target weight would be 11 stone or just over.

Headed out from Silverdale to Crag Bank and got on the canal. Decided to head north this time, bad mistake as the canal path just turns into grass and sludge.
IMG_20161001_133849.jpg

I carried on the best I could with back wheel spinning every now and again. But my cheap raleigh hybrid managed to hang in. I eventually came out on the A6, Very fast road for the cars so decided to put my helmet back on.
IMG_20161001_134033.jpg

From here I decided to come off the road and use this footpath that leads all the way into Milnthorpe. Had a rest just before Milnthorpe. The Japanese deer were out but they were just to far away to get a decent pic on my phone.
IMG_20161001_134136.jpg

I then turned left at Milnthorpe center and headed the long road to Arnside. Many a cyclist past me as if I was standing still. But they did look a lot leaner than me and had much better bikes. In fact today after a young kid past me on his mountain bike made me think how unfit I actually am. Earlier a much older man than myself pulled out in front of me, it wasnt long before there was a 2 minute gap between us. Then an easy 5 lol. But with the legs starting to hurt and the arms. I finally got to Arnside. The last lap home.
IMG_20161001_134245.jpg

All in all I did finally get home. Crawled in through the front door and jumped in a hot shower. Just need to find some energy now to wash the bike down.
IMG_20161001_134920.jpg

It might not seem much to most of the cyclist on here but at almost 47yrs old and only my 7th bike ride this year I cant help but feel real proud of myself.

Thanks Guys.. Cheers

IMG_20161001_133729.jpg

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
Well done and thanks for sharing @RobWard :thumbsup:

Keep it up :bicycle:

13 rider

Guru
:thumbsup: well done . We all started somewhere keep it going and fitness will come don't forget to enjoy the riding that's the most important thing . Look forward to future updates

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Well done.

I'll probably get tarred and feathered for this but please get yourself Bikeability training or at least a read of Cyclecraft if cars worry you. Cycle helmets aren't designed to help with cars (there's a long thread on the safety board if you want to read more on that).

But keep on rolling!

EnPassant

Remember Remember some date in November Member
Don't worry about being overtaken by 95 year olds with newspaper in one hand and a silk-cut in the other pedalling with one foot whilst the other is draped lazily over the crossbar... There are always freaks of nature people that can do that.
The important part is doing it for you. 20 miles on a ride a month is a goodly achievement. Rightly proud of yourself.

OP
OP
RobWard

RobWard

Well done.

I'll probably get tarred and feathered for this but please get yourself Bikeability training or at least a read of Cyclecraft if cars worry you. Cycle helmets aren't designed to help with cars (there's a long thread on the safety board if you want to read more on that).

But keep on rolling!

Bikeability training ? I dont mean to sound rude, but I have every licence known to man including my Motorbike. I put my helmet on as I was on a major road just like we should all do. I maybe new to cycling but I am aware of the traffic and potential hazards. Thanks for the concern though :cheers:

Bariton

Nice work Rob. With scenery like that who wants to ride fast!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Bikeability training ? I dont mean to sound rude, but I have every licence known to man including my Motorbike. I put my helmet on as I was on a major road just like we should all do. I maybe new to cycling but I am aware of the traffic and potential hazards. Thanks for the concern though :cheers:
Even so, cyclecraft is worth a read. Cycle positioning is slightly different than powered2 wheelers.

But great write-up and well done on the distance.
Great thing about cycling is that distance comes quite quickly for the moderately fit.
Enjoy and keep sharing your exploits!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Well done. I'm originally fro Crag Bank and used to cycle to Leighton Moss when I was a boy. I used to go over the footbridge over the Keir and then the Shore Road to Crag Bank, is that the route you took?

It takes months, not weeks to build up fitness so stick at it. You'll look back and be amazed at your progress both in terms of fitness and weight loss

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
So I awoke to sunshine on the first day of the month. Decided to get the bike out and carry on my quest to loose weight as at present I am 14 stone and 5ft 9' target weight would be 11 stone or just over.

Headed out from Silverdale to Crag Bank and got on the canal. Decided to head north this time, bad mistake as the canal path just turns into grass and sludge.
View attachment 146147

I carried on the best I could with back wheel spinning every now and again. But my cheap raleigh hybrid managed to hang in. I eventually came out on the A6, Very fast road for the cars so decided to put my helmet back on.
View attachment 146149
From here I decided to come off the road and use this footpath that leads all the way into Milnthorpe. Had a rest just before Milnthorpe. The Japanese deer were out but they were just to far away to get a decent pic on my phone.
View attachment 146150
I then turned left at Milnthorpe center and headed the long road to Arnside. Many a cyclist past me as if I was standing still. But they did look a lot leaner than me and had much better bikes. In fact today after a young kid past me on his mountain bike made me think how unfit I actually am. Earlier a much older man than myself pulled out in front of me, it wasnt long before there was a 2 minute gap between us. Then an easy 5 lol. But with the legs starting to hurt and the arms. I finally got to Arnside. The last lap home.
View attachment 146151
All in all I did finally get home. Crawled in through the front door and jumped in a hot shower. Just need to find some energy now to wash the bike down.
View attachment 146152
It might not seem much to most of the cyclist on here but at almost 47yrs old and only my 7th bike ride this year I cant help but feel real proud of myself.

Thanks Guys.. Cheers

View attachment 146153

Well done. A brilliant effort.

OP
OP
RobWard

RobWard

Well done. I'm originally fro Crag Bank and used to cycle to Leighton Moss when I was a boy. I used to go over the footbridge over the Keir and then the Shore Road to Crag Bank, is that the route you took?

It takes months, not weeks to build up fitness so stick at it. You'll look back and be amazed at your progress both in terms of fitness and weight loss

Yes, thats the route I took out of the village, over the little wooden bridge, its still there lol. Thanks

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Well done on your first twenty miler, it does get easier and it really doesn't matter how fast or slow you are going it will still be faster than someone sat on a sofa.

Top Bottom