A BIG thank you to fellow Cycle Chatter, colleague and general all round nice guy @Potsy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
After my son's school run bike was stolen nearly 2 weeks ago, friend and fellow cycle chatter @potsy quickly volunteered to donate one of his old bikes that was otherwise destined for bike heaven or a bicycle recycling project. I accepted and the bike was ferried to work and handed over with apologies being made for the poor state.
What a load of tosh! The bike is in great shape and once the parts he had cannibalised for his other bikes had been replaced with some bits from my parts skip (tyres, saddle, pedals) and a set of purchased lock-on ODI grips it took very fettling to bring it up to scratch. Hubs are now good as new after a bit of grease and proper adjustment. Brake cable outer lengths were all over the show and routing has now been optimised to give a sharp, responsive action that will throw you over the bars if not careful. Rear Q/R has been swapped for an old XT item and front one replaced with a Pin-Head security skewer so junior only has to lock the frame and rear wheel.
Junior then headed out on to the grove in the pitch black and pouring rain for the inaugural test ride and came back with a grin from ear to ear.
upload_2015-11-14_21-38-53.png

I also had a quick go and it does handle nicely with the gear shifts being slick and accurate, whoever Potsy got to set them up did a good job. Brakes are good even in the wet so no worries about moving from discs to rim brakes.

I have bought him a new, much better bike lock so he is now all set to resume cycling to school from Monday. Thanks Potsy mate :cheers:

EDIT: Just realised while looking at the picture that I had better replace the seatpost Q/R with a nut and bolt to prevent the saddle going walkies.......

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
@potsy:smooch::smooch::smooch:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well its not like he rides em is it.

*ducks*
It had to be said, didn't it, only you beat me to the keyboard! :laugh:

But yes - that was a nice gesture, potsy. I think you should be rewarded with a nice piece of cake and a mug of coffee. To claim your reward, turn out on one of my rides again and I will treat you! :okay:

ColinJ

Does he just have to turn up or actually ride a bike too:whistle:
A good point, well made ...

Potsy must accompany me on his bike for at least 30 miles. That bike should not be assisted by a motor or an engine nor be attached to a vehicle, horse, team of huskies** by a tow-rope, and he must average at least 16 kph/10 mph including the cafe stop!

** Any other ways of cheating are also banned! :laugh:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Cracking chappy!

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Well its not like he rides em is it.

Does he just have to turn up or actually ride a bike too:whistle:

Potsy must accompany me on his bike for at least 30 miles. That bike should not be assisted by a motor or an engine nor be attached to a vehicle, horse, team of huskies** by a tow-rope, and he must average at least 16 kph/10 mph including the cafe stop!

** Any other ways of cheating are also banned! :laugh:
Oi! Leave him alone. I'll have you know that Potsy is now on the mend after his little setback and will soon be knocking out 5-6k a year again just like the old days, watch this space.......

ColinJ

Oi! Leave him alone. I'll have you know that Potsy is now on the mend after his little setback and will soon be knocking out 5-6k a year again just like the old days, watch this space.......
I know ...

I just want him to come over here and do some of those miles with ME! :smile:

PS You can come too, but you will have to buy your own cake! :laugh:

Top Bottom