A Bike to Ride to Work for a Beginner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IdiotCoder

Hi guys,

I signed up to get some advice on a bike to ride to work. The journey is about 5 miles, so not much at all, and is mainly along a cycle path down a canal (I used Google Maps to generate the cycle route ;)).
I've not had a bike since I was a kid and know almost nothing other than what I've read the last day or so in the build up to my purchase, any advice would be great. I only have around £100-150 to spend on the bike, and then more to spend on other things I will/may need (helmet, mud guards, lights, some waterproof clothes).

These are some bikes I've seen online:
B'TWIN KEMMEL MTB - DECATHLON
B'TWIN ROCKRIDER 300 MTB - DECATHLON
B'TWIN Original 300 Hybrid - DECATHLON
Apollo Transfer Hybrid - Halfords
Apollo Mentor Hybrid - Halfords
Apollo Encounter Hybrid - Halfords

I was thinking of going in store to buy, to get any advice of the guys there and make sure I get the right size also. What are your guys thoughts on the above? Any other recommendations/advice?

Thanks.

Stay away from the Apollos, they all look rubbish. IME you get a lot of bike for your money at decathlon and out of the three you've posted i reckon i would go for the rockrider and put some more road orientated tyres on it.

OP
OP
I

IdiotCoder

Thanks for the input!
I popped into Halfords and Decathlon today, and I am now thinking I can probably stretch my budget a bit. I was looking at the Carrera Subway and Crossfire at Halfords for £230, but I'm in two minds as to whether I want to spend that much.
Then I was looking at the Rockrider 340 at Decathlon at £180. It's kinda down to the Subway and this I think, or if I decide the Rockrider 300 is good enough I could settle for that.
Any other ideas of what I could go for? The biggest problem is I'm short on time and so ideally need to make a decision by tomorrow to have the bike before the end of the week!

Thanks again.

vickster

Legendary Member
At that end of the market stick with the ones you have short listed. You probably won't need suspension, on such bikes it'll be heavy and not very good

Buy from halfords through Quidco and you can save a few quid

OP
OP
I

IdiotCoder

Thanks for the replies guys!
I've decided I'm going to go for the Carrera Subway. Will go and purchase tomorrow!
Thanks a lot for all your input! Helped an indecisive guy choose his first bike!

Whilst here, what other essentials should I pick up other than a helmet, lock, pump with gauge.?

vickster

Legendary Member
Padded shorts if planning on going further, bottle cage and bottle, good padded mitts

Lock, make sure it's a good one, buy cheap, buy twice (and not just the lock )

This is a decent option of being left somewhere fairly secure.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Kryptonite-Evolution-Mini-7-Lock-With-4-Foot-Kryptoflex-Cable_53382.htm

If leaving at a station or somewhere else dodgy, you'll be wanting to spend a lot more on a top end d lock and cable (like £100)

Learnincurve

Apollo bikes are the devils work, literally, I have it on good authority that he personally makes each one and then gives them to Halfords for free on the condition that they sell them at entry level prices. What he does it build a ok looking bike and then add on an extra few kg for absolutely no reason at all all just to mess with people. I just bought a second hand but unused 2010 ridgeback speed, it's the same sort of bike as those apollo hybrids, made out of the same materials with the same low end gears and was the same price, but it's 2-3kg lighter....

Top Bottom