A day ride in France - Sat. 11th April

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
probs wont have time as train get's in at 8.31, ferry is at 9.25 so will be in a bit of a rush. And as I said, you are only talking a couple of quid.
With the tight trip in, might be worth watching what is happening with the new passport exit controls too. I don't know how long the ride is from train to terminal, but I'm guessing they'll be even more grumpy about the 30 minute cut off now, so I wouldn't dally if it's going to put you later than 08:55 at the terminal or you might be on then next boat, which would really screw things up...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
With the tight trip in, might be worth watching what is happening with the new passport exit controls too. I don't know how long the ride is from train to terminal, but I'm guessing they'll be even more grumpy about the 30 minute cut off now, so I wouldn't dally if it's going to put you later than 08:55 at the terminal or you might be on then next boat, which would really screw things up...

7 minute ride

U

User10571

*Starts attaching onions to bicycle*
This should be easier than adjusting cantis.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
I'm sorry guys, I'm going to have to pull out of this. I was going to drive up to Calais, but my wife will need the car this weekend and the train is far too expensive (€45 each way!). I will also no doubt have to book a hotel as there are no trains after 7.30 pm. I'm really gutted TBH - I've been waiting for a ride like this in northern France for ages. Sorry once again.

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
I'm sorry guys, I'm going to have to pull out of this. I was going to drive up to Calais, but my wife will need the car this weekend and the train is far too expensive (€45 each way!). I will also no doubt have to book a hotel as there are no trains after 7.30 pm. I'm really gutted TBH - I've been waiting for a ride like this in northern France for ages. Sorry once again.

Shame.

PS I'm shocked by the train price - I thought UK train prices were the most expensive in Europe!

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
Shame.

PS I'm shocked by the train price - I thought UK train prices were the most expensive in Europe!

SNCF is now really expensive unless you book well in advance. What is still cheap is train commute fares, which are heavily subsidised. My wife pays €17 per week for her 60km round trip. I think UK prices are still more expensive, though. But it's true that it's shocking that it's cheaper to take the car than the train - it should be the opposite.

U

User10571

Chr!$t, that was difficult.
Which bike to take?
I've been vacillating between the Ti VN and the soot Scott.
I've decided on the soot Scott.
It hasn't turned a wheel since some time late last year.
Dust wiped off, chain lubed, shake-down ride conducted. Just need to go over the tyres.
Previous owner, well travelled though she is, tells me it has never been to France - even though it originated in Oz.
'Xcited!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Norwegians say we may get a shower or two while en route to the start of the ride, and the roads may be a bit damp, but we should be fine while actually out there pedalling :okay:
Calais 15.04.11 forecast.jpg

Top Bottom