A day ride in France - Sat. 11th April

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Would love to join, how fast will the ride be? As I am still a plodder! ☺️

See posts #38 and #39:
Based on the earlier sailing, it's 52 miles of cycling to be done, with 7 hours available to cover that and a lunch stop. I work on a moving average speed of 11-12 mph, so that's easily do-able.

To summarise:

Looking at a Saturday, April/early May, [NOW SCHEDULED FOR SATURDAY, 11 APRIL 2015] departing 06:37 St Pancras HS1, arriving Dover 07:41 (or make your own way to Dover if more convenient). Then get the 09:25 sailing arriving Calais 11:55 local time. Cycling around for a few hours, having lunch in Wimereux, cycling for a few more hours following the coast road back to Calais, in time to get the 20:35 boat arriving back in Dover 21:05 local time, to get the 21:49 HS1 arriving in St Pancras 22:54.

All to be done at a gentle pace 11-12 mph moving average (as it's not a race), no-one gets left behind.

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
Plenty of eateries in Wimereux, if that's still the plan.

As we're going clockwise now, the amended likely route is shown here, and we'll probably be eating in Guines, south of Calais, as there are several potential restaurants I'll be checking out next month.

lilolee

Veteran
Would have loved this but its Paris Roubaix weekend, so beer and cobbles wins out

Me too, although things may change.

I would lunch in Audresselles. Lovely place, right on sea with a row of nice restaurants.

U

User10571

This could make for a very interesting weekend.
Pootling round Calais and its environs on Saturday.
Followed by http://www.thelondonclassic.org/2015/01/05/the-london-classic-2015-2/
on Sunday.
Which, for those who have never done it, comes highly recommended.
A(nother) fun day out, (more) tremendous atmosphere, raising money for a(n unquestionably) good cause. ( I know, this prolly belongs in Charidee Rides.......)
You get the challenge (amongst others) of a 22% hill in Londres Sud.
Must say I'm not overfond of the cobbles.
They play havoc with mine.
And its Paris-Roubaix that weekend!
What's not to like?

Last edited by a moderator:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
So looking at the thread.
Apart from Adam and Rebecca.
We have the following confirmed on the ride
Me
Mark & Gail
Arthur