A fitted camera in your taxi is like... an offensive advert

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Why are the insurers offering 10% reductions? Surely the camera is just as likely - if not more so - to show that the cab driver is at fault?

classic33

Leg End Member
Isn't that ad a bit racist, 2 white guys running over a cyclist and then photo'd rushing to beat him up?
That has been mentioned elswhere.

classic33

Leg End Member
Why are the insurers offering 10% reductions? Surely the camera is just as likely - if not more so - to show that the cab driver is at fault?
Internally fitted watching the driver as well. For their security. Which many drivers don't actually want.

Bah, Contour or GoPro just need to hop on the bandwagon and release the same advert, but with the cyclist on the floor with a headcam watching the barrister shout at the taxi driver, whilst an injury4u lawyer is emptying his cash box. That should do it.

classic33

Leg End Member
It's weird how Youtube isn't full of black cab driver's cam footage. It's almost as if they're reluctant to have their driving scrutinised.
They are not allowed to access the box or any of the recording equipment, if fitted as part of their licence condtions. As issued by the plate issuer, usually the local council.
Maybe that's why you'll rarely see any.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I don't see the problem at all. If you're trying to sell the idea of an onboard camera to a taxi driver - or indeed any road user - then you show how it could benefit them. They're hardly going to say "Taxi drivers! Fitting a camera will help capture your own bad driving and help secure a conviction against you!"

jarlrmai

Veteran
It is telling that they don't get their own dash cams and do it though, and those drivers that have uploaded footage of cyclists they perceive to be wrong to youtube have generally been shown to be completely ignorant.

I looked at getting my camera without even realising anyone else was doing it because I thought people would actually be shocked by some of the driving, I then googled "camera + cycling" and found a news article about Magnatom and gaz etc etc.

Not to say that we haven't seen some really stupid cycling uploaded as well.

classic33

Leg End Member
It is telling that they don't get their own dash cams and do it though, and those drivers that have uploaded footage of cyclists they perceive to be wrong to youtube have generally been shown to be completely ignorant.

I looked at getting my camera without even realising anyone else was doing it because I thought people would actually be shocked by some of the driving, I then googled "camera + cycling" and found a news article about Magnatom and gaz etc etc.

Not to say that we haven't seen some really stupid cycling uploaded as well.
Bear in mind that the car is their livelyhood. And because its carrying fair paying passengers, any camera fitted means that warning signs informing that they were fitted would have to be visible to and readable.

Top Bottom