A garden tool question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Yes, I know there is a gardening forum, but there are lots more folks on this cycling one!

I have a field next door, with an unploughed/sown edge that grows nettles, thistles etc. I need a strimmer that will cut through it (I just want to do a narrow band right next to my fence to help stop it rotting and to help stop the bindweed coming through, not to demolish the lot!). The strimmer I have has quite a narrow nylon thread that keeps breaking (mind you, the thing is probably at least 15 years old). So I might need something a little closer to a brush cutter.

But I also have a newish hedge, that next year is probably going to need an electric hedge cutter.

I was wondering about buying a multi-tool that has one motor and changeable heads. Anyone got any experience with these? It would seem a cheaper option than buying two separate tools, and you might also get an edger or other tool as well. But I wondered about 'getting what you pay for' and also how the designs have been compromised to make the multi-tool option.

So, any opinions or advice welcome, please!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Our allotment has a strimmer that also has a bush Cutter head. I don't think it was at the cheap end cost wise, but I know that someone put the wrong mix in it and we had to pay a fair bit to get it serviced. I can dig out the minutes if you are interested. I've not used it myself, as I normally end up doing the more delicate cutting at the allotment.

[QUOTE 3831451, member: 259"]Yes, I'd hire one as well if you're not using it all the time. The professional tools are much better performing than the ones on sale for occasional use.

If you are using a brush cutter, make sure you wear wellies, gloves, trousers and glasses![/QUOTE]
Sorry forgot to say make sure that you wear all the appropriate safety wear.

I'd suggest you buy tools best suited for their task.

Husqvarna are to be recommended: they are pricey, but will perform and last for ages if properly maintained.

http://www.husqvarna.com/uk/products/grass-trimmers/ and you might want to use the triangular head for anything thicker than small shoots and bushes.
upload_2015-8-1_20-20-5.png

And for the hedge, depending on the thickness/age of it

And for the hedge: http://www.husqvarna.com/uk/products/hedge-trimmers/

Safety equipment should be used: goggles, ear-protectors and gloves, for example.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Once you've sorted out the area have you got any old carpet or some such to use as a mulch?
It will never be perfect at suppressing everything but it will work in your favour for a few years.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
A hedge trimmer will do the job. We go over the fence and hedge trim the brambles back every year. I also attack the larger stuff (trees) with chain saw. Hedge trimmers are great - they also go through narrow branches.

beachy

hire a Stihl Strimmer with a secondary blade head, clear the area then after a few weeks spray the hedge line with Glyphosate ( roundup) twice. Year. This should keep it clear.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
A hedge trimmer will do the job. We go over the fence and hedge trim the brambles back every year. I also attack the larger stuff (trees) with chain saw. Hedge trimmers are great - they also go through narrow branches.

hire a Stihl Strimmer with a secondary blade head, clear the area then after a few weeks spray the hedge line with Glyphosate ( roundup) twice. Year. This should keep it clear.

Both these should suffice..
Be wary of using steel brush cutting heads in cold weather...

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Thanks all - it's not my field, so I don't think mulching it or putting old carpet down is on, nor it putting weedkiller on it - the farmer might object!

Summerdays - I was thinking more on the lines of an electric one than a petrol one - I have used one of the latter when I did some volunteering for the National Trust - it would even get through an inch-thick sapling eventually! But that thing was much heavier than I had in mind.

Fossy - I did wonder if a hedge trimmer might do both - if I get one with an attachment that helps to do the tops of tall hedges, I suppose you just use it the other way up so you don't wreck your back when using it near the ground?

I would hire a Stihl strimmer for what you need, easily thebest ones on the market. Most local authority and private contractors use them. If its nettles and bindweed use good quality cord and it will monster it. Brambles and self sets etc use a blade.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I have a tall hedge to maintain and so I went for a Stihl with hedge cutter, pole cutter and extension attachments. You can also get a strimmer attachment and I can highly recommended it as an excellent bit of kit.

12342057175_aa4a4a3d3d.jpg

15310443655_10b1dfc55a.jpg

Top Bottom