England : Norfolk A gentle 55 miler from King's Lynn to Walsingham

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
This is an invitation to anyone who would like to join us on a small group ride this Saturday - 29th.

About six of us (confirmed so far, there may be more) will be leaving Lynnsport and Leisure Park for a loop up to lunch at Walsingham, then back. The route is probably through Sandringham and I suspect Bircham in one direction and Houghton in the other, but I'm not in charge.

Distance about 56 miles, and maybe two short (¾mi max) but awkward hills (10% max) each way, but we'll regroup at the top of each one. Walsingham is a popular stop on National Cycle Route 1 and if you'd prefer to bring food instead of buy it, there should be nearby picnic spots.

We ride a mix of bikes, so the pace will be modest, planned at 10mph.

The route is a mixture of cycle paths and quiet roads (it's a summer Saturday, so we'll be avoiding the A roads), so is suitable for any bike, although you might find it hard and noisy work on nobblies.

We set off at 10am from the cycle park by Lynnsport's front door, next to the table tennis tables. We aim to be back before dark, but bring lights just in case, unless you're confident to rush off home on your own if it gets late.

Inevitably the ride may string out a bit, we tend to have several short stops for regroups and a quick slurp. Usually I have a toolkit, pump and first-aid kit on board, so anyone joining us can be confident of being properly looked after insofar as they may need it.

If anyone needs it, contact me and I'll meet anyone arriving on the 0921 train from Cambridge/London to show them the easiest way to the start. If you're motoring with a bike in/on the back, there is parking at Lynnsport signposted from the A149/A1076 Hospital roundabout, but it's a summer Saturday, so please expect holiday traffic to take plenty of time, especially from the A47 Hardwick junction.

Please post expressions of interest/queries, or feel free to PM me. (HT @Pale Rider for the general shape of this invitation and a couple of nice phrases which I've shamelessly copied.)

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Good stuff, and the first aid kit is a nice touch.

I think our leader carries a few basics.

I've not cycled in Norfolk, but I did take my mother (a strong supporter of the monarchy) for a drive around Sandringham a few years ago.

Very pleasant part of the world, so I'm sure there's some excellent cycling to be had.

Finding a route can be a chore for someone new to the area.

Being led by riders who know where they are going is a big benefit.

Let's hope you can at least match my number of CycleChat participants.

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've not cycled in Norfolk, but I did take my mother (a strong supporter of the monarchy) for a drive around Sandringham a few years ago.

Very pleasant part of the world, so I'm sure there's some excellent cycling to be had.
Our route out is part of what was called one of Britain’s greatest countryside cycle routes and I think it's not even the best we've done, although it does score highly for accessibility (bus station, train station, car parks). Whatever one's views on the monarchy, I think it probably helps that there are reportedly royal persons cycling around there (and their rather less enthusiastic protection officers).

Top Bottom