England : Northumberland A little known area

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albion

Guru
Has the fuss over the 'heritage chippings' surface of the cycle path from Alnmouth towards Warkworth been sorted yet. I rode it not long after it had been done and they'd just put up the loose chippings warning signs - farcical. Also a shame that the route becomes impassable for road bikes further up the coast.
Well I usually take the alternative road bit past Boulmer, just as quick.

And my first thought on the new tarmac was that it would be far too lethal with winter ice. I guess they had no choice there.
Prior to the tarmac it was only suitable for suspension bike.

byegad

Legendary Member
I usually attend the Bike Rite meetings in October at Wooler and Easter at Longridge towers, so I know those two areas quite well. Great cycling country and great friends attend both events too.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
It was wonderful when newly tarmaced (before that it was unrideable on a road bike IMO), then the chippings were put down ..... worth noting that the main road on the other side of the hedge is tarmac - no worries about that looking too 'urban' :thumbsdown:

midlife

Guru
But for the sake of balance, my first proper girlfriend was from Wooler. Cow.

You married her then....................

Shaun

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Well, I cycled up to Berwick over the weekend via that track and can say that it was a storm in a surface dressing tea cup, It is now slow, but for winter especially, it was needed.

I take it this is the stretch I would have followed when I did Berwick to Newcastle last year, following the Coast and Castles route.

The service was that remarkable, I can't recall it.

Reading the report, it sounds similar to what's been done on parts of the C2C route from Consett to Parkhead in County Durham.

There are some chippings, but I've seen plenty of Strava louts hammering along there on road bikes.

In any case, it's a shared use path so high speed is not appropriate.

albion

Guru
Reading the report, it sounds similar to what's been done on parts of the C2C route from Consett to Parkhead in County Durham.
In any case, it's a shared use path so high speed is not appropriate.
Nope, it is far better than that,flat with the chippings cemented.
But the 1st stage fast tarmac was far slicker than that newish fast tarmac on the C2C south of Leadgate.
It was there at Lime Kilns, New Years Day I witnessed a horse, one of the seasonal hunt slip and fall badly. Somehow horse and rider got up likely unhurt.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
(Was) Driven through the area when taking daughter Scoosh down to Leeds and thought it would well be worth exploring - looks very nice. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom