England : Cheshire A long(ish), slow(ish), flat(tish) Cheshire ride - Sat, 4th June 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doughnut

Veteran
Enjoyed last weekends ride Colin, and I'm tempted by this one. 200km is a bit outside my comfort zone but put me down as a possible for this - I'll be keeping an eye on the weather forecast as well as it gets nearer the time.

That wobbly back wheel from last week finally gave up and snapped a spoke yesterday (or maybe it was always snapped and I just found it yesterday) - it should run a bit smoother after its fixed and not rubbing against one of the brake blocks all the time. No doubt that will help get me through 200k ^_^

mythste

Veteran
Enjoyed last weekends ride Colin, and I'm tempted by this one. 200km is a bit outside my comfort zone but put me down as a possible for this - I'll be keeping an eye on the weather forecast as well as it gets nearer the time.

That wobbly back wheel from last week finally gave up and snapped a spoke yesterday (or maybe it was always snapped and I just found it yesterday) - it should run a bit smoother after its fixed and not rubbing against one of the brake blocks all the time. No doubt that will help get me through 200k ^_^

It'd be good to see you again! I'm sure we can (un)comfortably struggle along together!

You'll be fine with the distance @doughnut and it will be great if you can join us. From my memory of last year's route there are no long steep hills like last week's ride and although it's a lot of hours in the saddle it's very much gentle cycling and the scenery is very varied and attractive. Mind you, last week you got up those climbs like a champion mountain goat.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

I thought that wheel wouldn't last much longer! Good job it didn't happen on our ride.

You'll be fine with the distance @doughnut and it will be great if you can join us. From my memory of last year's route there are no long steep hills like last week's ride and although it's a lot of hours in the saddle it's very much gentle cycling and the scenery is very varied and attractive. Mind you, last week you got up those climbs like a champion mountain goat.
Yes, you would have no difficulty with the ride as long as you keep eating and drinking. We will not be going that quickly and TBH, you are fitter than me, so if I can do it, YOU can too. The only difference is that I KNOW that I can do it! :okay:

I want to go out on my bike this afternoon once I have caught up on the Giro d'Italia coverage. I will try and add more detail to the first post tonight.

Buck

Guru
This sounds a fantastic ride but unfortunately we are on holiday down in Wales, not returning until late in the Saturday :sad:

I would have loved to had a go at this as it sounds like a really good route and not too hilly (I'm used to a lot hillier and a lot shorter!)

Enjoy the ride and I'll keep an eye on the thread for updates/reports. :okay:

mythste

Veteran
@ColinJ - apologies if I've missed it, but what time do you intend to leave? Im thinking I might just get the train from Manchester to Wilmslow in the morning - they seem plentiful and cheap.

Knee is still playing up a little, 40 miles this weekend at a good pace gave me a twinge to keep an eye on.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@ColinJ - apologies if I've missed it, but what time do you intend to leave? Im thinking I might just get the train from Manchester to Wilmslow in the morning - they seem plentiful and cheap.

Knee is still playing up a little, 40 miles this weekend at a good pace gave me a twinge to keep an eye on.
The first post is always where to go for info. I discuss rides throughout the threads but then always update the original post. So - 08:00. (People don't read all the posts in long threads so I usually just say 'Read the first thread' because I get asked the same questions over and over. This one doesn't seem to be attracting much interest, but some ride threads have gone to well over 10 pages very quickly and fair enough, people don't have time to read everything.)

We start from a car park very close to Wilmslow station. Probably less than a quarter of a mile away.

I will try to find time to add more info to that original post later but I keep getting distracted!

PS I hope your knee gets better. My knee problems on the bike in the past were either due to getting my cleat position wrong,or having my saddle too low.

Katherine

Guru
Thanks. I've looked at the route and might be able to join for a part of it but I would be approaching you by way of the Warburton Bridge and would have to turn round and go back that way too. I'll let you know nearer the time. If I have to lead the intro ride ride again for the club on the Sunday, I won't want to be too tired.

GuyBoden

Guru
After a bit of a look at the route, I'll definitely meetup at Tatton and see how it goes.

On the plus side, if you're going too fast, I know this area well, so I can always sneak off home if it gets too much for my legs.......

I had a look at your GPX files for last year's route and imported them into OS, many thanks.
Route Part 1:
https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/osmaps/#/route/668548/Cheshire-Cycle-Chat-Ride-Part-1
Route Part 2:
https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/osmaps/#/route/668557/Cheshire-Cycle-Chat-ride-Part-2
Route Part 3:
https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/osmaps/#/route/668562/Cheshire-Cycle-Chat-Ride-Part-3

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I don't think this one will be possible for me as I need to be available at home in the afternoon onwards that day. :sad:

Sorry Colin. I'm not doing very well catching up with you again. :rolleyes: If anything changes I'll let you know.

Top Bottom