A quick jaunt up to t'North Pennines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
My OH, Chrissie, is introducing Kim to backpacking. She's working towards taking her round the Cumbrian Way next spring. In preparation Chrissie planned a night wild camping on Cross Fell last weekend. Me and Hamish fell to chauffeur duties with the vans but I reckoned we could cram in some mountain bikin' too.

We charged up the A1 on Friday afternoon in beautiful weather and were soon pitched up at one of our fave van wild camping spots.

IMG_0647.JPG

Next morning we drove north through Alston, over Hartside Pass then down to the tiny village of Blencarn where we dumped, sorry ... dropped off ... the girls and their pooches for their "mini adventure".

IMG_0648.JPG

Actually, Tilly the lab's my dog but I do lend her out now that Dixie, Chrissie's elderly boxer, has stated that backpacking over hills is too much like hard work (she IS thirteen). Tilly's also good at carryin' her own stuff as you can see.

Hamish and I dashed back round to Nenthead before walking the dogs (K&H have two too) then set off on a brief foray up past the lead mining museum and over the off-road section of the C2C which we missed out earlier this year (me being on my tourer).

It was fun.

IMG_0650.JPG

We had a great evening, drinking, eating a very fine meal cooked by H, watchin' Clint in "Hang 'em High" and generally puttin' the world to rights before I fell asleep ... dreaming of my soon-to-arrive Thorn Sherpa.

Next morning we blasted over the moor again. Shot down into Garrigill then up across a byway to Alston for lunch. Then more bridleways took us on a tortuous route back to Nenthead. Hamish JUST managed to catch me as I hurtled out of the first shot.

IMG_0652.JPG

IMG_0653.JPG

IMG_0655.JPG

We had a great ride ... in the most glorious of autumn weather. Even saw a couple of deer twixt Alston and Nenthead.

We picked the girls up in Garrigill and K&H hurried off home. We, meanwhile, both now ... say it quietly ... retired, just mooched off back to our fave van wild camp spot to catch a gorgeous sunset.

IMG_0658.JPG

Over the next couple of days we dawdled back thro' the Dales, enjoying a couple of nice hillwalks before returning home on Wednesday. It had been a most satisfying little break.

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Looks like a lovely trip. Nice black orange top just like mine from Aldi

midlife

Guru
Nice :biggrin:

I can see Cross Fell from my back window, very wild and windy and the home of the only named wind in the UK :biggrin: Almost bought a house in Blencarn, nice quiet place.......

Shaun

OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

Nice :biggrin:

I can see Cross Fell from my back window, very wild and windy and the home of the only named wind in the UK :biggrin: Almost bought a house in Blencarn, nice quiet place.......

Shaun
Go on Shaun, you've got me.
I've never heard of the wind. Dare I ask ... what's it called?
It's a part of the world we really love.

D

Deleted member 23692

It's 'the helm' and it's named after the bar of cloud that sits over the fellside when it's blowing.

It wasn't so nice yesterday when I was around those parts

OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

It's 'the helm' and it's named after the bar of cloud that sits over the fellside when it's blowing.

It wasn't so nice yesterday when I was around those parts
Ok, I misunderstood. I HAD heard of the Helm. 'Thought Shaun was gonna say, "Cross Fell Wind" or somesuch.
D'you reckon that's it in my first photo?

OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

Sadly not - the helm is a north easterly wind and the cloud sits over the west side of the fells when it's blowing.

Looks like you did a similar route to this - http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today.8938/post-2472650
Yep, that's the one. I'd no idea wot to expect. Just made it up by following bridleways on the map at home.
BTW Hamish is a bit of a hero on a MTB and he did ride that really bouldery bit out from the mine. I rode some of it but got off ... before I fell off. The descent on that lane into Garrigill's quite entertaining too!

Oh, and thanks for educating me about the helm.

D

Deleted member 23692

A good proportion of my work is in the North Pennines, and it's a truly magical landscape.

Top Bottom