Manchester - Llandudno 25 April 2015 featuring the Inaugural Hill Climb Sausage Challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
This Summer I rode to Llandudno and it was a really great ride so I am floating the idea of something similar. If there's sufficient interest then I will organise and run it.

The idea is Manchester - Llandudno. Train back home. It's quite a long ride but...it's very flat and people could start somewhere other than Manchester if they felt it was a bit too long. The return train stops at Chester, Frodsham, Warrington, Newton le Willows.

What you get on the full ride is a lot of really nice quiet Cheshire lanes and a final 25 mile stretch right next to the sea on the N Wales coast. This was the highlight of the ride for me. The NCN coastal path is excellent.

The idea would be to start at Piccadilly so people could get there easily. It would be a full day. The plan would be a lunch stop. Then fish and chips in Llandudno and as many beers as you like. There are plenty of return trains to Manchester so folk could either leave quickly or stay for a bit.

Not sure if Saturday or Sunday would be better I am guessing Saturday is better for trains but maybe more people available Sunday?

We would ride at a nice friendly pace. No problem splitting into faster and slower groups. Faster riders can get the beers in.

Edit - there would be enough time to set off at 9am -ish so I hope it will not just be locals and this gives enough time for those from far-flung lands to get there

*** DATE FIXED - SATURDAY APRIL 25 ***

EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST

Starting Manchester
@I like Skol
@rich p
@wanda2010
@theclaud
@User13710
@Cubist +3
@BRounsley
@doughnut
@DiddlyDodds
@Andrew Br +1
@Nigel182
@User
@mikeee
@david k +2
@middleagecyclist

Starting Altrincham
@400bhp
@Pjays666
@gam001
@Tail End Charlie
@skudupnorth (somewhere near Alty actually
@Leaway2 +2

Starting Marbury
@User3094
@Origamist

Starting Eureka
@Crackle
@McWobble
@Rickshaw Phil
@mike3121
@pubrunner
@Freds Dad (maybe start a bit before)

Starting somewhere in N Wales
@gavroche
@Ootini +2

Not yet committed
@MartinQ
clid61
toeknee
Kneesup
(but with a slim possibility of riding from Rhyl)
@just_fixed
subaqua
4F
@fossyant
@potsy
robjh
@dodgy
Exile

@Nick Stone
@Pennine-Paul
@sagefly +1
@Kestevan

@The Brewer
Lilmo + 1
@Hicky

@Shadowfax
@G3CWI
@Littgull
tournut
totallyfixed
dr_pink

@Slartibartfast
Martin Archer

Screenshot (6).png

The Sausage Challenge
For a bit of a laugh, at the end of the ride there is a very steep hill up the Great Orme. Anyone who has done the ride can give it a go if they like. Only rule is, if you're on a geared bike you have to use a gear close to a typical fixed gear and not change mid climb. Furthest up the hill gets a prize of my choosing.

Attachments

• Manchester - Llandudno 25th April 2015 Final.csv
    7.7 KB · Views: 81
  • Manchester_-_Llandudno_25th_April_2015 Final (2).gpx
    516 KB · Views: 162
  • Manchester_-_Llandudno_25th_April_2015 Final.gpx
    22.3 KB · Views: 118
  • Manchester_-_Llandudno_25th_April_2015 Final.tcx
    2.1 MB · Views: 138
Last edited:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
It it goes ahead, living in Colwyn bay, I would be happy to join you from Prestatyn.

Sounds like a plan. The North Wales path is relatively flat although I seem to remember the path turns left at Flint with a short climb up Halkyn? Could also do a lap of the Great Orme at the end with a hill climb to the top?
Only negative is all the bloody seagulls in Llandudno who want to nick your chips.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Sounds like a plan. The North Wales path is relatively flat although I seem to remember the path turns left at Flint with a short climb up Halkyn? Could also do a lap of the Great Orme at the end with a hill climb to the top?
Only negative is all the bloody seagulls in Llandudno who want to nick your chips.

We would go on the A548 but duck off via some villages en route to break it up. Wouldn't do the climb out of Flint. Leave the A548 at Talacre. I think if you do the full Manchester - Llandudno you're a bit short of an imperial century so a quick lap around (not up) the Orme might get you there

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Hmmmm....

We have friends who are redeveloping their house on Anglesey. I have thoughts for a night ride.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Subject to the date I would like to be allowed on this one? Can we make the Great Orme hill race at the end worth competing in with the winners beer being purchased by all the other riders? :cheers:

KneesUp

Guru
I'm posting for updates (I know I could 'watch' but that seems sneaky somehow) I'm nowhere near fit enough, and I don't live in Manchester or Wales, but I have mates in Manchester I could borrow a sofa off the night before. Just need to get fit enough ...

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I'm posting for updates (I know I could 'watch' but that seems sneaky somehow) I'm nowhere near fit enough, and I don't live in Manchester or Wales, but I have mates in Manchester I could borrow a sofa off the night before. Just need to get fit enough ...

The nice thing about the ride is that the last 40 miles from Chester to Llandudno are completely flat (the run from Manchester to Chester is pretty flat too). So we get the easiest stretch at the end. The rough idea is set off at 9am. 8 hours cycling @ 12mph with an hour's lunch stop gets us to Llandudno 6pm. Just right for fish and chips and a few beers. I did the ride @15mph this summer so 12mph should be achievable for most. Of course the fast guys can go faster and cycle up the Great Orme or whatever while they wait for the others

Top Bottom