A section of 10 speed chain.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
EDIT......
NOW OBTAINED........MANY THANKS

Sounds odd I know.........BUT.............
Now I am doing higher/bigger mileage I want to practice repairing a broken chain. Don't want to be miles from home and find I cant do it :sad:
I understand that 10 speed chains have less tolerance & are therefor more difficult than 9 speed and as that is what is on my bike I thought it best to practice on that.
Any condition will do.
Apart from purchasing a brand new chain I can't think of any way to getting it.
I'm happy to pay whatever postage is involved.
Thanks

Last edited:

sittingbull

Veteran
Could you not just practice on your current chain when it comes up for replacement?

I understand your concern until then but I've never snapped a chain and don't know anyone who has unless that chain had been poorly connected or something other than the chain has caused an issue.

Alternatively purchase the new chain now and shorten it to the correct length and practice on the links you've removed :smile:

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Could you not just practice on your current chain when it comes up for replacement?

I understand your concern until then but I've never snapped a chain and don't know anyone who has unless that chain had been poorly connected or something other than the chain has caused an issue.
Alternatively purchase the new chain now and shorten it to the correct length and practice on the links you've removed :smile:

TBH........I do think I am overly concerned as I've been cycling (on & off) for over 50 years and NEVER had one break. But after reading a few comments on CC I decided to carry a spare link etc. then realised I could really struggle if it did ever happen enroute.
As an after thought I contacted my son (in Yorkshire) and he has some he can send me..........so I will edite my post.
Thanks

Cubist

Still wavin'
I may also point out that unless you have the closing tool, it's very difficult to do unless the chain is on the bike. You need to squeeze the plates together at the same time as standing on the pedal to pull them into place.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I may also point out that unless you have the closing tool, it's very difficult to do unless the chain is on the bike. You need to squeeze the plates together at the same time as standing on the pedal to pull them into place.
Now I am worried :sad:
I was assuming I could at least learn how to remove the broken link and insert the rapid link????
I can see what you mean about "pulling them into place" but can I not at least get the principle/idea on a piece of chain.
BTW...I am still waiting for the promised piece of chain :sad:

Cubist

Still wavin'
Now I am worried :sad:
I was assuming I could at least learn how to remove the broken link and insert the rapid link????
I can see what you mean about "pulling them into place" but can I not at least get the principle/idea on a piece of chain.
BTW...I am still waiting for the promised piece of chain :sad:
If you just need to practice using the chain breaker then that's fine. Some power links/quick links are single use anyway, according to manufacturer recommendations, so repeatedly closing and opening one would eventually render it useless.

I've got a length of 10 speed chain I can send you if you need one, PM me your address and I'll pop it in a jiffy in the morning.

Top Bottom